Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Would you mind to tell me how to share the HP LaserJet 1012 printer with two Windows 7 computers?  I have a desktop and a notebook and both use Windows 7.  Currently, I having the printer attached to the USB Port of my desktop.  I don’t know how to set up the printer so that I can share it automatically with my notebook without directly attached.  Do I need any additional hardware or router?  Please kindly advice.

Many thanks!

HP Recommended

Thanks, this worked perfectly.  On a previous installation of Windows 7 I used the Vista driver but it was very slow.  This works great and is just as fast as on XP and Vista.  Again many thanks.

HP Recommended

To: bldalager

The best advice that I can give you is to buy the book "Windows 7 For Dummies". They tell you how to do it. I have 3 computers running Windows 7, 2 hard wired and one laptop that is wireless. I share my HP Laserjet 1012 (set up as a 1015) with all 3 of them. Windows 7 has a thing that they call a HomeGroup. It is a network for the home and it allowes you to share files and printers without the "Public Nonsense" that you had to go through with Vista. I use the Ativa router which has been working fine. It alows both wired and wireless networking. I think that I bought it from Office Depot. It has been a while since I set it up, but remember that it was very easy to do. OllieOctopus

HP Recommended

I found a way to get the HP 1010/1012/1015 Vista USB Host driver to print immediately. 

Delete your existing HP 1010/1012/1015 in "Devices and Printers" (also on any shared network computers)

Go to Device Manager

Click on IEEE1284.4 Devices

Right Click on DOTS4 USB Printing Support - go to properties

Click Update Driver

Click Browse for driver software on your computer

Click Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer

Click USB Printing Support

Click Close Windows

Go back to Devices and Printers

Click Add Printer

For the local port choose USB001 (Virtual port for USB)

For the Driver, point to the Vista Host Base Driver folder

It does not matter if you choose 1010 1012 or 1015 as it is the same driver

HP Recommended

This link  is not  the driver for HP 1012 Laser Jet/Windows 7, 64 bit.    It's for HP 1020-1022 printer.  

And if this driver works, than what happens when windows 7 downloads the updates?  There is one user here who said that he had trouble with the this driver after the updates.  See Below:

Released:  2009-11-05

Version:  20071210

Compatibility:  Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Server 2003 64-Bit Edition, Microsoft Windows XP x64

System requirements:  This download is for use on Windows Vista 64bit. It is intended for first time installation of the HP LaserJet 1020-1022 printer driver via a USB connection.

If you are upgrading the print driver, use the "HP LaserJet 1020-1022 Driver" package rather than this "Plug and Play Package".

Description:  The Plug and Play Bundle provides basic printing functions.

Enhancements:  Windows 7 Compatible

HP Recommended

This sounds like a great fix, but what happens when Windows 7 updates?  I see several users had issues with this?

HP Recommended

First of all, this thread is addressing the HP Laserjet 1010/1012/1015 printer.  It says so right in the header. 

While Windows Update may make a printer driver not work, this is rarely the case.   Usually it happens upon a Service Pack Release if anything.  Windows Updates are more about security issues and don't touch printer drivers.  The issue where many of us here (including myself) speculate that a Windows Update caused the printer driver not to work has not been pproperly determined to be the case.  It was a guess and a bad one.  Actually, the drivers being attempted to be used that eventually fail have more to due with the driver itself.  Usually when we print a complicated page like with Graphs and Pictures, it fails and will fail thereafter.  Sometimes the driver will fail after the printer goes into sleep mode.

The HP 1010/1012/1015 Vista Host Base driver has never failed under these circumstances.  However it did have a 10sec delay per page to print under Windows 7.  The solution I provided a few post up solved this issue.  It will print normally as if the driver was designed for Windows 7.  I work in IT\IS dept and stumbled upon this script for workarounds of various HP printers that were printing with delays or slow under WinXP.  Whether a Vista Host Base driver for the HP 1020  will work with this workaround is for you to try.  I don't believe a Windows Update affects hardly any printer drivers.

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

Thank you Ollie.  This worked great.  (Like everyone else, my easy 1015 fix worked for a while and then I got the dreaded "Unsupported Personality" message.  Your latest message fixed it again for me.)   Now I'm off to tell Mark Hurd why I will never buy HP again.  ARG!! 

HP Recommended

After several weeks of searching, this was the solution that worked to restore my HP 1012 back to it's former self on Win 7.  The key was setting up the printer on USB001 instead of USB_DOT4.  I had to make a couple of changes to the procedure recommended since I also have a HP OfficeJet 6110 that was already installed on USB001.  So, I had to remove the 6110 temporarily so I could use the USB001 port for the HP 1012.  I also didn't delete the HP 1012 printer as recommended, since that removed the IEEE 1284.4 Device in Device Manager.  After successfully installing the HP 1012 on the USB001 printer port I restarted Win 7 and reconnected the HP 6110.  It automatically installed to USB002 (which it created during the re-installation).  Both printers now work perfectly in Win 7 and the original printing speed was restored on the HP 1012.  I just wish HP had provided this solution on their driver update site and saved me several weeks of effort.

HP Recommended

I spoke too soon.  The 1015 fix lasted a couple of days and now I get the unsupported personality message about every five pages.  Plus, I can only print one page at a time.  Makes work very difficult.

I wrote to Mark Hurd via email and got a voicemail response within a day or so.  However, when I talked to the guy, he told me that he was not in printers and had no fix for me.  Why did you call then?  Because we answer our mail.  Well, it doesn't do a lot of good to answer it w/no answer.  I'm done with HP.

I've done some research and it looks like the Brother HL-2170W might be a decent replacement.  I can get it for about $150.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for all of your help and insight.  It has made this hideously maddening experience a little less horrid.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.