Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

You saved the day for me. This absolutley worked. Thank God for techies... I love you!

HP Recommended

Do you have any problem in printing on both sides of a page?  If yes, how to fix this problem?  Please advise

HP Recommended

Do you have any trouble in printing any print job on both sides of a piece of paper?  If yes, please advise how to fix this problem?

When you mentioned:  For the Driver, point to Vista Host Base Driver folder, HOW as I did not see the option Driver, but only saw Manufacturer and Printers?  Do I have to download anything first?

Please kindly advise!

HP Recommended

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I have a new Toshiba Satellite Laptop, and my hp LaserJet 1012 was not supported either.   It went all the way to 1015, so I followed your advise and BAM  IT WORKED BEAUTIFULLY

I love these tech support boards   (sorry for shouting above)  but i'm stoked!!

Thank You  the  DOT4 port choice when asked along with the HP Laserjet 3055PCL5 choice worked great!!!!  : )

HP Recommended

payip, you will need to download the Vista Host Based Driver.  I would google - hp 1012 Vista Host Based Driver 32 - for 32bit Windows 7 or - hp 1012 Vista Host Based Driver 64 - for 64bit Windows 7 .  This is a BASIC driver so there is not any "setup" or .exe (executable) to click on.  It is zipped, however double click on the Vista Host Based Driver you just downloaded and put it in a folder you have to create such as C:\HP1012 or C:\temp.  Know the location of the folder.

Know you have to attached the HP printer to your computer first.  If it has already been attached without a driver installation prompt, then it is in your Devices and Printers area as a "Unspecified Device"  Click Add Printer, for the port choose USB001 if that is not taken up by any other USB Printer, if so choose USB002, USB003 and so on...   If USB00x is not showing up, choose DOT4.  Click NEXT and you have a button that says, HAVE DISK.  Click on HAVE DISK and point it to the VIsta Host Based Driver folder you just created after downloading it. 

If you chose DOT4, then apply the workaround in thread 3 of this forum.  NOTE: you may have to Add Printer, Choose a port and click on WINDOWS UPDATE and let it update Windows 7 with more driver support. 

As another way to update DOT4 to "USB Printing Support" you can go to Device Manager and then hit the + on Universal Serial Bus controllers toward the bottom and you will see a Device with DOT4 HP Printer 1012 (or something similiar).  Right click on it, go to properties, click update driver, choose *Browse my computer for  driver software* and two options of DOT4 and USB Printing Support should appear.  Choose USB Printing Support and finish it out. 

Regarding Duplexing, I don't use that feature.  You can change it in Printing Preferences, but I believe you will need to manually flip the page(s) with the setting ON with the Vista Host Based Driver. 

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

I took the following steps recently because I did not have the HP 1010/1012/1015 on my printer driver list.

sk2play's steps:

Go to Device Manager

Click on IEEE1284.4 Devices

Right Click on DOTS4 USB Printing Support - go to properties

Click Update Driver

Click Browse for driver software on your computer

Click Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer

Click USB Printing Support

Click Close Windows

Then, when I tried to load the HP drivers from the Add Printer step I didn't see HP 1010/1012/1015 listed.  I even tried to update the driver list, and got zero results.

So, I downloaded Windows Vista 64 driver for the HP 1012.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=306510&p...

Unpacked it.

And then...

1. Add Printer

2. Local (for me)

3. Selected USB001 (VIrtual printer port for USB) -- like sk2play suggested in his steps

4. chose Have Disk

5. Browsed to the location of the unpacked HP 1012 WinVista 64 driver

6. selected and installed

7. printed a test sheet, and it printed immediately

Of course, the only reason I had to do this is because I didn't have the HP 1010/1012/1015 on my printer driver list.  So, in case other people are having issues this might help.

And thanks to sk2play for the initial work on all this crazy crap.

HP Recommended

I am glad I found this thread, it solved a lot of issue for me.  I just wanted to share what I did as I had a weird setup - connecting from a 64bit laptop to a 32bit desktop where the 1012 printer was living.

Setup:

Desktop - Win7 32bit - LaserJet 1012

Laptop - Win7 64bit

To install the printer on the desktop, I connected it via USB and used these drivers to install it manually when prompted:

lj1010serieshb-vista32.zip

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

Then I added the networked printer on my 64bit laptop, and used these drivers to install it manually when prompted:

lj1010serieshb-vista64.zip

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:LixJu_q-trcJ:h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareD...

That link does not see to work but here is the FTP link to the file:

ftp.hp.com%2Fpub%2Fsoftlib%2Fsoftware10%2FCOL27082%2Flj-67501-1/lj1010serieshb-vista64.zip

I hope that helps someone else. 

HP Recommended

Thanks to you and sk2play for matching up the 1012 with Win7.  My new HP laptop is Win7 and was dismayed that HP did not support the 1012 under Win7.  I combined both of your procedures, am using USB001 virtual port and 1015 printer.  It took a few minutes to install, thought my system froze up, but it eventually went to the finished successfully page.  The test print worked well.  Thanks again for the fix, saving me from having to buy another printer.  The 1012 is a great work horse printer, never any problems and I hated the thought of parting with such a reliable printer just because HP did not update its support for Win7.  Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi, my friend,

I have successfully re-installed my hp LaserJet 1012 in Win7 Professional x64 by following your post.

Thanks  a lot!

DJ from Toronto

HP Recommended

Thanks a ton!  The idea of having to buy a new printer because of a new OS made me one unhappy guy.

zeke

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.