Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Laserjet 1012 and am using x64 drivers:

Search HP for this file (lj1010serieshb-vista64.zip). Extract this archive to a folder.

Try installing the drivers this way:

In the Devices and Printers window in the Control Panel, right click your printer (it might show up as an unrecognized device and not a printer)
and then select Properties. Change to the Hardware tab.

Here, double click the IEEE 1284.4 Printing Support line to open up its properties. Notice that all the buttons on the Driver tab except Driver Details are greyed out.

Click the Change Settings button on the General tab. Now this dialog will close and reopen.

Change to the Driver tab again, and click Update Driver.

Click Browse my Computer for Driver Software.

On the page that opens, select Let me pick from a list...

Then click the Browse button and navigate to the folder containing the drivers you extracted earlier and select the file hpc1015w.inf. If you have hidden file extensions it should be the only file visible.

HP Recommended

I have a Laserjet 1012 x64 drivers:

lj1010serieshb-vista64.zip search HP for this file. Extract this archive to a folder.

Try installing the drivers this way:

In the Devices and Printers window in the Control Panel, right click your printer (it might show up as an unrecognized device and not a printer)
and then select Properties. Change to the Hardware tab.

Here, double click the IEEE 1284.4 Printing Support line to open up its properties. Notice that all the buttons on the Driver tab except Driver Details are greyed out.

Click the Change Settings button on the General tab. Now this dialog will close and reopen.

Change to the Driver tab again, and click Update Driver.

Click Browse my Computer for Driver Software.

On the page that opens, select Let me pick from a list...

Then click the Browse button and navigate to the folder containing the drivers you extracted earlier and select the file hpc1015w.inf. If you have hidden file extensions it should be the only file visible.

HP Recommended

Anyone want to buy my 2 extra print cartridges that are now junk!!!?  Maybe I'll putem up on ebay, or I could just bring back to life my really old Windows home machine as a print server.  Crud.

HP Recommended

FWIW, I suggest using the 3055 PCL5 as outlined above.  It's working on my 32bit Win 7 machines, text & graphics.

Ed

HP Recommended

Just set up my 1012 this way: used the driver for the 1015 and selected USB001 as my port - now it works perfectly.  I tried the other suggestions and for some reason they didn't work for me.

HP Recommended

Help please.  I have tried three different methods to get my LaserJet 1012 to work on Windows 7.  First, I installed the driver for the HP 1015 printer resident with Windows 7 Add Printer.  Second I installed the driver for HP 3055 PCL5, also resident with Windows 7 Add printer.  Finally, I installed the 1012 Vista x64 driver from the HP website and loaded the .inf file from the Add Printer wizard.

In all cases, it appeared that the driver was accepted.  HOWEVER, whenever I print a test page, the printer queue shows an Error-Printing.  Nothing prints and there are no other indications.  The Windows 7 troubleshooter finds no problems either.

ANY IDEAS?

HP Recommended

sgnews said:

In all cases, it appeared that the driver was accepted.  HOWEVER, whenever I print a test page, the printer queue shows an Error-Printing.  Nothing prints and there are no other indications.  The Windows 7 troubleshooter finds no problems either.

I would highly speculate you have a hardware problem.  Hold down the green button on the laserject 1012 for at least 3 seconds to see if it prints a test page.  If it doesn't, replace the printer. 

If it does print a test page holding the green button for 3 seconds, check cables and USB ports on the computer with another USB device (like a thumb drive or mouse).  Some cheaper computers like only the "bottom" USB port (closest to the motherboard) as they "maybe" the only powered USB port on the motherboard. 

If no USB Ports work, look into a PCI USB Card as they are cheap and they have plenty of power for a printer.

Also, it can be the USB Port on the 1012 Printer's end.  If that is the case, replace the printer.  

Hope this helps. 

HP Recommended

One other thing I forgot is that the USB Port especially on the printer's end can become oxidized.  Simply turning off the printer and PC, unplugging the cable from the printer and Computer, then plugging the cables back in will rejuvinate the connections with your existing USB cable. 

HP Recommended

I have a Win 7 x64 laptop that is connected wirelessly to the network. The HP 1012 is connected via USB to a Win XP x32 machine. The printer is shared and is accessible by other computers in the house that have XP. After 2 weeks of trying everything under the sun here's how I got it to work. All the steps below are done on the Win 7 laptop.

1. Remove the wireless printer, if it is already installed as a network printer and it doesn't work.(Unsupported PCL format message, for me)
  2. Google and download the file lj1010serieshb-vista64.zip . Unzip in a straightforward location.
  3. Add a new local printer, create a new Local Port, and at the pop-up window insert \\Computer\Printer where Computer is the desktop the printer is attached to, and Printer is the name of the shared printer.
  4. In the driver window choose Browse driver. If asked if you want to keep the current driver say no and proceed to pointing to the folder you unzipped on step 2.
  5. Find the only .inf file in the folder and choose the printer you have (1010 hb, 1012 hb or 1015 hb).
  6. Print Test Page and Voila!

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

This Worked Perfectly. Thank You! :generic:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.