Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The info on this topic is very rich and helpful.

However, my situation is kind of odd.

I have the HPLaser Jet 1012 living with an XP which i use for print out daily shipping/invoices. Then i have a Win7 laptop for personal use but some times needs to print out some pages.

I can connect the LJ1012 to my laptop and print , no problem, but i can not print when the LJ1012 connected with the XP desktop.

Vice versa, when the LJ1012 is connected with my Win7, the XP can not find such printer and can not print.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you so much for your help. It worked like a charm.  I've spent all day trying to figure this out.  I'm happy to have resolved the problem and get my printer working.  I was so upset over it that I was just about to give in and purchase a new hp model....Thank God for this message board.  thanks again....:)

HP Recommended

you are the man what you posted worked great i really appreciate it. may the wind always be to your back and your head up high

HP Recommended

Dude, you rock.  My CPU is being reworked because of a virus and I just purchased an ASUS laptop running Windows 7 and needed my printer.  It wouldn't work.  I tried downloading various drivers and was at the end of my rope.  Read your solution and thought I would give it a try.  Worked first time, exactly as written.  THANK YOU!!!

HP Recommended

Problem solved! Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thank you to everyone on this forum!!! I was going mad trying to get my printer working again - initially fine (1 day) then stopped working. Incredibly frustrating, but this fix (USB001/Vista driver) seems to be working - let's hope that continues.

You are all lifesavers

Deb

HP Recommended

I just got the LaserJet 1012 working on a Windows 7 (x64) machine and shared over the network with a 32-bit Windows XP machine.  So far it seems to be working fine.

All I did was downloaded current HP Universal Print Driver PCL5 drivers (5.1.0.1) for x64 and x86.  Then installed the x64 drivers and added additional drivers for x86.  So far so good.

HP Recommended

Here's how it worked for me using windows 7 x64, starting with the printer plugged in via USB, and recognized as HP 1012, but sorted under "unspecified" in the devices & printers list and not working.

Unzip the driver "lj1010serieshb-vista64.zip" (should be downloadable from HP if you google that filename), then:

1. Control panel / devices: "add a printer"  -> "add a local printer"  -> "use an existing port:", "USB001 (virtual printer port for USB)"
2. Update printer list by clicking "Windows Update" button
3. Select manufacturer: "HP", printers: "hp laserjet 3055 PCL5 (HP)"
4. Click "have disk..." and open the hpc1015w.inf driver file
5. Select "Hp LaserJet 1012 HB" in the "choose your printer" list that pops up
6. Type a name for this dummy printer (something other than what you want your printer to actually be called).  The print drivers are now installed, but they aren't yet associated with the printer hardware.
7. Go to the laserjet 1012 icon sorted under "unspecified" in devices (this is your actual printer, which isn't associated with working drivers yet).  Right click -> "properties" -> hardware tab -> "properties" -> driver tab -> "uninstall".  The printer should be removed from the devices list.
8. Unplug your printer's usb cable and plug it back in.
9. The printer should pop back up in the "unspecified" list, then the driver should be associated with it automatically and it will move to the "printers" list; it should now be working.
HP Recommended

It took me ten minutes of foolishness to get signed in so I could say Thank You! I can't tell you how many forums i have looked at and how many people I have talked to that could not provide the answer to this question.

MUCH appreciated! It works perfectly and your directions were clear enough that even I couold follow them!

Thank You!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for posting this.  You just saved me a lot of hours and my hair. Thank you, Thank you!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.