windows 7 and hp multimedia keyboard driver? (47168 Views)
Top Student
wheresjerry
Message 1 of 33 (47,168 Views)

windows 7 and hp multimedia keyboard driver?

I am sure I am not the only person who is checking out win7 beta, but I can not seem to get my multimedia keyboard to open disk drawers, and show on screen display of the volume level.  I really like using the function buttons on the keyboard, do a lot of recording/burning of music, so the buttons are a time saver!  If anybody knows how, and what driver I should be using, it would be much appreciated!  Thanks!
Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 33 (47,164 Views)

Re: windows 7 and hp multimedia keyboard driver?

Sorry,HP will not have any supported drivers for Windows 7 Beta.That's the drawback of running Betas.
Honor Student
Jazz_Guy
Message 3 of 33 (47,185 Views)

The HP Multimedia Keybord driver for Vista 64-bit (and I suppose the 32-bit) works just fine on Windows 7. You just have to be smart enough to figure out how to install it.

I have it running just fine on Windows 7. It runs like a charm.

To install you need to take several steps:

Go into the folder options and turn on "show hidden files, folders, and drivers" in the view sub-panel of Folder Options.

Then download and run the Vista version of the installer. You will eventually get a dialog box that asks if you want to continue or cancel. At this point DON'T ANSWER.

Go to  c:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Local\Temp

There will be at least one folder in there that has a name that starts with a "{"

Pick the one with the closest time to when you executed the HP installer and copy it to some other folder you create on the desktop.

Select "cancel" on the running HP install app. If you hadn't copied the content of the original folder to another location, the original installer would have deleted this content.

Inside the folder , there will be a sub-folder called "src"

Double click on the "Install" app and let it run.

It takes a few minutes but let it run and then reboot.

My Windows 7 is now running fine and all of the keyboard functions work

Warning: Win 7 is BETA software! If this screws up your PC don't go crying to HP like a little girl. It isn't their fault! Only yours! If you're runnning a beta on your main PC you lack good judgement anyway.

As I've said, it runs fine on my Win 7 box and I've read that most drivers for Vista work on Win 7.

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 4 of 33 (47,048 Views)

Use the vista drivers if there's any for the keyboard. Windows 7 is 100% compatible with vista sofware/drivers and they work. I have done the same for my devices and they worked fine.

Top Student
wheresjerry
Message 5 of 33 (47,066 Views)

I get an error message saying that my computer does not meet minimum requirements...didn't hink that would happen...I have a quad core processor, and vista 64 bit, 5 gigs ram, etc....what would they be looking for?
Honor Student
Jazz_Guy
Message 6 of 33 (47,059 Views)

Read my instructions! The installer doesn't see WIN7 as an acceptable OS. There is nothing wrong with your computer, you have to fool the installer by extracting its contents and running the application inside the download.

Top Student
wheresjerry
Message 7 of 33 (47,049 Views)

I did follow your instructions....I can not seem to locate a file begining in {....

thanks.....I am sure i'll get it, usually good at this....

Student
grr1212
Message 8 of 33 (47,034 Views)

This works great :-) …… Just follow each step, one thing I did was looked into all folders with the file name and then found the “src”. After that it worked like “New”

Thanks for the help……..

Greg  

Top Student
wheresjerry
Message 9 of 33 (46,977 Views)

now I feel really dumb...I can not for the life of me find a file in my temp directory that starts w/ a {   There is one from yesterday w/ no info in it...I searched for a folder/file  w/ src, still nothing.....mmmmmmm
Top Student
wheresjerry
Message 10 of 33 (46,976 Views)

do you turn uac off?  I tried yesterday w/ it on, and today w/ it off and still the same results......no temp file, or src......
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation