Question

Honor Student
Deutschland
Message 1 of 28 (36,583 Views)

AMD Radeon HD 6490M Windows 8 - 64-bit Driver

Hi guys,

I have HP Pavilion DV6-6B51EA and curently I'm using licenced Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I tried upgrading to Windows 8 Release Preview but I can't install driver for my graphics card which is AMD Radeon HD 6490M.

The problem is I can't download and install drivers from AMD website, HP laptops can only use the drivers from their website, well, at least for the graphics cards.

So, I can't use Win 7 driver on Win 8. I would like to know is there any chance I can find a driver that will work, or can you tell me when will HP release new drivers for my latopt for Windows 8?

Cheers

Tutor
Alez_Curquejo
Message 2 of 28 (36,489 Views)

Re: AMD Radeon HD 6490M Windows 8 - 64-bit Driver

Hi Deutschland, download drivers for windows 7 and install in compatibility mode:

Software & Driver Downloads - HP Pavilion dv6-6b51ea Entertainment Notebook PC

When download the driver, right clic on driver and:

Properties - Compatibility - check box Compatibility mode - select Windows 7

or check if windows 8 incorporates:

Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Advanced Printer Setup - Next - Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings - Next - Next - Select "HP" - check if your model appears, then select - Next - Next

PD: Please, sorry for my english

MS MVP Windows
Intern
Spicemaster01
Message 3 of 28 (36,250 Views)

hey alez

dont post useless solution .

AMD Radeon HD 6490M Windows 8 - 64-bit Driver is highly needed for windows 8 rtm other I cant use my dv6-6154tx laptop

Honor Student
theskyfactory
Message 4 of 28 (36,221 Views)

Sorry but does not work............

Intern
Namerico
Message 5 of 28 (36,169 Views)

Hi Guys,

if the troubleshoot above didn´t help, please try the following:

download and install HP AMD graphic driver recommended previously by Alez_Curquejo and that i´ve added a link here  - > HP AMD Driver .

After download finishes run it until you receive an error message saying that you computer doesn´t have the requisits or something similiar.

Navigate to folder  C:\SWSetup\SP55092 and inside it right click on file "Setup.exe" and select "properties", then go to tab "Compatibility" and enable to option " Run this program in compatibility mode"  and select "windows 7" from the drop-down list also enable the option "run this program as an administrator", click on Save, then end and double click on "setup.exe" to start instalation.

please post here progress.

if any error occur, paste the message or attach a printscreen so i can try to help you further.

regards,

Tutor
DKizzy
Message 6 of 28 (35,781 Views)

Hi. I tried to do that with the same download package on my Pavilion DV6 CTO Quad edition and it fails to install the driver because of a conflict with the C++ Redistributable 2010 package build into the installer. Does anyone know if HP is going to update the switchable graphic drivers for Windows 8? They better!

Student
MARPATdroid
Message 7 of 28 (34,242 Views)

I've tried just about everything to get this chipset to work Windows 8 Pro to work, it keeps identifying my Graphics card as a Radeon HD 7400 which isn't letting me do any of my work...  Between HP and Microsoft I wonder who fixes this first.  It's so annoying, I'm thinking about going back to my windows 7 image I made right before I upgraded.

Honor Student
hellhoundsx
Message 8 of 28 (34,132 Views)

i have the same problem but with dofferent specs, im the owner of a hp dv6 - 3070ep and i have bought windows 8, i upgraded my computer and when i wanted to play a game(Euro truck simulator 2) it lags so my graphics(5650/4200) hasnt got the driver installed, i went to the device manager it was all ok but the version whas not the one that i had on the windows 7 :/ i need new drivers :smileysad: saddly hp hasnt lauch any drovers for windows 8 on my PC :smileysad:

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 9 of 28 (34,030 Views)

Try 

1. unplugging the LAN and disconnect from the Wireless LAN,

2. go to the Graphics Adapter in Device Manager, uninstall the graphics driver and opt to "Delete the driver software for the device", reboot

3. After booting back into Windows continue doing this until the inbox driver, AMD Radeon HD (WDDM 1.2 Microsoft) driver comes up. The go to Update Driver, Let me pick, select the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and reboot

4. Then connect to the internet and install whatever driver is available on Windows Update

[Wndows Key] --> Control Panel --> View by: Large icons --> Windows Update --> Scan for updates --> Install all optional, recommended, Important DRIVER updates, reboot

5. If that doesn't work repeating the steps above but in Step 4, install the video driver of your choice (e.g. the driver from the OEM's website or AMD's website (not both at the same time)

Honor Student
hellhoundsx
Message 10 of 28 (33,985 Views)

[ Edited ]

will try that thanks

i did it but after a moment, my moniter flashes and when i notice windows installed the stupid driver again(when i dont connect to the internet, it remains the drover i installed), i did the 4 steps again then i turned off the automatic updater but it still installed the **bleep** driver again :/ any advise?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation