Question

Intern
Leila1939
Message 1 of 14 (9,289 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can not download win 8 on a hp pavilion dv6 notebook

I have a HP Pavilion dv6z-6100 CTO Quad Edition Entertainment Pc.

I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

I think I have tried everything to get the Win 8 Preview to download.  It almost finishes and then freezes and will not finish the download.  Problem is there is no information given as to just why the download doesn't finish.  I even did a clean install of

Windows 7 and it still will not install, thinking since Win 8 will use the hardware from 7 that a new install would work.  No luck

Can anyone out there give me any adviise that might work.  I have tried everything suggested by all the forums.

Regular HP support will not help you, because they say they do not suppor this installation.  What will happen when the

regular Win 8 is released?  I am very disappointed in the HP service.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 14 (9,268 Views)

Re: Can not download win 8 on a hp pavilion dv6 notebook

Your thread is a bit confusing.

Are you perhaps mistakenly replacing the word install with download?

What I find confusing is your replacement (or perhaps not) of Windows 7.

Please elaborate on the following statement.

" I even did a clean install of Windows 7 and it still will not install, thinking since Win 8 will use the hardware from 7 that a new install would work. "

What exactly do you mean by that?  How could you expect Windows 8 to install when you are installing Windows 7?

Are you trying to install Windows 8 via DVD or USB drive?

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
Leila1939
Message 3 of 14 (9,265 Views)

I can not get Windows 8 to install on my laptop.  I was under the impression that Windows 8 Preview used the hardware from Windows 7.  Because I could not get Windows 8 to install, I did a new install of Windows 7 thinking that something was corrupted, and then tried to install Windows 8.   No luck.  I may be way off in my thinking.

I tried to install Windows 8 preview using the ISO downloaded on a DVD from the Microsoft site.

I hope I am making sense, since this has me absolutely baffled.  HP will not give any support advising me that

they do not support the Windows 8 Preview.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 14 (9,254 Views)

If you tried to install Windows 8 by using the downloaded ISO burned to a  DVD or an install from a USB thumbdrive and the install failed, then the chances are that your notebook's chipset is not supported by Windows 8.

Which method are you using for an install method?

Intern
Leila1939
Message 5 of 14 (9,247 Views)

I used a DVD downloaded with the ISO file.   I thank you for your response.  It is the only intelligent answer

I have received regarding this problem.

My only concern now is what will happen when I try to install the regular Windows 8 which comes out in approximately October.

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 14 (9,245 Views)

If you were unable to install Windows 8 via the DVD it may be that your burning speed was set too high. Burn at 4x or slower this time.

You may have better success with a Windows 8 USB install. It will certainly be noticeably faster and more reliable than a DVD install.  

Intern
Leila1939
Message 7 of 14 (9,179 Views)

I want to thank you for your help.  I have tried everything possible to download Win 8 on both my HP computers.

Its no go.  So I will just wait for the regular edition to arrive and hope that I can install them on my computers.

Student
EddieMcg
Message 8 of 14 (8,538 Views)

Hi there, ive just seen this. Im new to this site and i am having the same problem, I downloaded windows 8 pro, and did a fresh install via USB drive. It installed everything and rebooted, and as it was setting up for first use, it wouldnt go any further.

I have a HP Pavilion DV6 with the AMD A6 3400M processor, 6gb ram, 256gb ssd drive, AMD radeon HD graphics.

As far as i understand my system is far more than the spec required by windows 8...

Please help!

Student
Suisun
Message 9 of 14 (8,362 Views)

I just installed WUN 8 PRO from the DVD on my HP Pavilion dv6, 64 bit. The compatibility checker said there was a conflict with PerfectDisk software. I deleted the software and all PerfectDisk files (hidden in the windows/system32/x86 files folder. Once that was done, the software loaded seamlessly and I was up and running. It recognized both my HP wireless printers. I have had no problems since I loaded it last week. It is a great program and I love the new features/look/feel.

I did have to use the RUN command to launch the DVD as it did not start up automatically. 

Top Student
FAILACE
Message 10 of 14 (8,130 Views)

Neither do I. My HP Pavilion dv6 6170 freezes in windows 8 installation.

I boughr W8 directely from Microsoft's site and downloaded to my laptop.

All to no avail.

It simply freezes on instalation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation