Question
Can not download win 8 on a hp pavilion dv6 notebook
Replies (13)

Top Student
fastmuzik
Message 11 of 14 (1,918 Views)

Re: Can not download win 8 on a hp pavilion dv6 notebook

Hope this will help those who have purchased some of the dv6 Series Entertainment Laptops and find the Windows 8 upgrade will not work . . . 

Some of the the dv6 Series produced before October 2011 have not been tested for Windows 8 and, as a result, they advise not to try the upgrade because the computer or some of the programs may not work correctly. I tried the install (from the download) 6 times and each time the process would hang (freeze) at "Getting ready 33%", I gave up on the upgrade at that point.

So, I copied all of my most important files to a My Passport drive (or other device with enough free space) and did a full, keep nothing, install. it worked. BUT . . . the graphics and audio drivers are NOT the ones that were loaded at the factory with Windows 7. So, after the install I went on to hp.com and scanned my system again for drivers but the HP scanner only looks at model numbers - it didn't see the Windows 8 OS and the drop down only offered me Win 7 64bit OS. This is a troubling point because it appears they don't care to offer the upgrade support for this model and mine is still under warranty and less than 2 years old!!! (Remember: if you do the clean install, you lose ALL of your programs and files and will have to re-install them). 

Because the scanner did not detect the WIN8OS, I decided to try the Win7 64bit drivers for AMD and IDT (the IDT HD Audio is for Beats Audio on mine) but I think all the dv6's are AMD and realtek, otherwise. Anyway, the W7 drivers all worked and I was able to upgrade those drivers to Windows 8 drivers OUTSIDE of hp - which is a little absurd and pretty cheap when you think about it. I was even able to download the CyberLink YouCam Win7 drivers and once installed, the "upgrade driver" window popped up on my screen. Done!

These are simple walk arounds for most users unless you're afraid of installing graphics or Audio drivers. With HP the install process is all automated, anyway. Can be a pretty time-consuming process, too, especially if you have lots of installed programs.

Complain to HP if, like me, you have a relatively new model and your only choice is to stick with Windows 7 - which would be OK - or buy new. For me, buying new after less than 2 years is insulting and if HP wants to earn and KEEP your business the upgrades should be available! HP needs to create some kind of .inf file to download that will allow the scanner to identify the correct drivers once Windows 8 is installed. Would be nothing for them to at least offer that.

Hope this helps.

Student
Message 12 of 14 (1,053 Views)

download window 8 on a hp pavilion dv6 series

Top Student
FAILACE
Message 13 of 14 (1,048 Views)

Your answer helped a lot. Thanks!

Honor Student
machura
Message 14 of 14 (865 Views)

It seems, that on my DV6339eu is not possible install Win8 64bit due incompatibility nForce 7200 or what.

Win7 64 bit works well, but Win8 detect Microsoft graphics adapter only and picture on screen is with artefacts and doubled-tripled... When I tried install nVidia driver for Go 7200, then Win8 hangs always.

Tried 32bit version Win8 and there all work well...

Will be in future some driver for 64bit ? Tried drivers from microsoft, same problem...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation