Re: Enabling Virtualization Technology to Install Windows 8 on Virtual Machine? (1421 Views)
Top Student
jdanniel
Message 1 of 4 (1,432 Views)

Enabling Virtualization Technology to Install Windows 8 on Virtual Machine?

Hello…I have an HP HPE-310t Desktop computer that is currently running the 32-bit version of Windows 7.

I'm interested in installing the Windows 8 Customer Preview on a virtual machine such as Virtual Box.  I've done a little bit of research on how to do this, but there is one thing I am unclear about, and so I'm requesting assistance here.

The documentation I've read states my processor must support Virtualization Technology.  The processor is a quad-core, so I'm assuming it does.  However, the documentation also says Virtualization Technology is often disabled by default, and may need to be enabled to use it.

I'm not sure how to do this.  I'm assuming it has to be done in BIOS.  Can anyone please tell me where to find the option to enable Virtualization Technology, or check to see if is already enabled?

Thank you for your assistance.  J. Danniel

Master's Graduate
Mahadev_Tech
Message 2 of 4 (1,426 Views)

Re: Enabling Virtualization Technology to Install Windows 8 on Virtual Machine?

Hi,

You are correct thevirtualization has to be enabled in the BIOS.

Since you are using a 32bit OS you would only be able to run a 32bit OS as the guest (Virtual machine).

I was not able to pull the details of you system with the info provided by you.

Can you please let me know which country you purchased the system and also the product #.

So that I can provide more info about how to enable in the BIOS.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped**
Top Student
jdanniel
Message 3 of 4 (1,423 Views)

Hello, and thank you for replying.

I actually found the Virtualization Technology option in BIOS and enabled it.  I had no trouble installing Windows 8 on Virtual Box.

However, while I'm sitting here typing this, I should say something:  I did install Windows 8 Customer Preview on my computer when it first came out.   (I did a full system backup with Acronis True Image prior to the installation.)

Anyway, the installation went smoothly, and I installed a dozen or so programs on it with no problems.  When I installed a Thunderbird E-Mail backup program, I rebooted, and my computer froze at the HP Welcome/BIOS sign-on screen.  

It just stayed there.  I shut the computer off for a minute or two, restarted it, and it froze again.  I began to feel a touch of panic.  I shut the computer off yet again, waited 15 minutes, and restarted it using the Acronis True Image boot CD.   Fortunately, it booted up, so I restored my backup.

For the brief period of time I used Windows 8 on my actual system and not in Virtual Box, my reaction was highly negative.   I was VERY impressed with the revised Explorer--they finally got that right.  I actually LIKE the ribbon in it!

But Metro?  The elimination of a Start button?  It's hell on earth to use a keyboard and mouse to get to a Shut Down, Log Off, or Restart option.

I can't envision a scenario where I would upgrade my computer to Windows 8.  Messing with it once in a while in Virtual Box...yeah, I'll do that.  I can nuke the whole thing without much chaos.

Thanks again!   Jd

Master's Graduate
Mahadev_Tech
Message 4 of 4 (1,421 Views)

If your system freezes in future after the HP, this could be due to some static charge left in the system.

Remove the battery and unplug any devices connected also the ac adapter and press and hold the power button for 5secs this discharges the static charge.

I think that was the issue wat you faced after the thunderbird E-mail backup program.

However I would not suggest you to run any beta versions as the main OS.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation