HP 8530p & 6530b - Windows 8 Pro 64bit - HP ProtectTools Security Manager Suite (16378 Views)
Honor Student
ereyes
Message 1 of 7 (16,378 Views)

HP 8530p & 6530b - Windows 8 Pro 64bit - HP ProtectTools Security Manager Suite

I have an issue with both laptops not being able to turn off when I select SHUTDOWN.  The screen turns off but the laptop remails ON based on all the lights that remain on.

What I found is that if I disable Windows 8 "FAST STARTUP" option then the laptop will turn off completely.  This of course increases boot times.

I also have the same operating system on an HP DC7800 desktop without HP ProtectTools Security Manager Suite and it shuts down without issues while having  "FAST STARTUP" enabled. 

Has anyone else reported this issue or is there a known fix?

Thank you

Student
hardinxcore
Message 2 of 7 (15,930 Views)

Re: HP 8530p & 6530b - Windows 8 Pro 64bit - HP ProtectTools Security Manager Suite

[ Edited ]

Hy,

I have the same issue; my Windows 8 machine (64bit Enterprise), won't shutdown (restart is going fine). 

My HP notebook is a 6730b.

The issue is there since I installed the HP ProctectTools Security Manager Suite software. 

Because of some other reason I can't disable the Fast Startup option (it's grade out). > Found a solution for this: http://www.troublefixers.com/fast-startup-option-missing-or-disabled-in-windows-8/

I also can't uninstall the HP ProctectTools Security Manager Suite software, after uninstalling, it's removed from Add/Remove programs, but still installed and functioning... I've the latest software version installed.

Did you find a solution for this? Can or have you installed the HP Security Manager Software? Or find another solution? 

Regards,

Honor Student
ereyes
Message 3 of 7 (15,781 Views)

Re: HP 8530p & 6530b - Windows 8 Pro 64bit - HP ProtectTools Security Manager Suite

No solution so far. Waiting for Win 8 public release and see if HP provides a solution. 

Honor Student
Ehtisham
Message 4 of 7 (11,423 Views)

Hi,

I have the same issue with My HP Elitebook 8440P and There is still no updates from HP.

Top Student
gregsedwards
Message 5 of 7 (10,832 Views)

So, I installed HP ProtectTools on my EliteBook 8560w running Windows 8 Pro.I setup Windows security protection (not preboot). Now my login screen is completely hosed. It just keeps flashing purple with a spinning mouse cursor. The keyboard is totally unresponsive. I have to kill the power to force a reboot. Tried a system restore which did nothing. Any ideas?

- Greg
Honor Student
Ehtisham
Message 6 of 7 (10,594 Views)

i'm able to install HP Protect Tools Security manager on HP Elitebook 8440P which was unable to shutdown or hibernate earlier but restart went fine.. However One thing to be noticed that, all works fine if you install only HP Protect Tools, but the same problem occurs when you install the plugins i.e. Drive Encryption for Protect Tools and others.... Well!! All i wanted to have access to my finger print reader so that i can have easy access to my application credentials.. All is going fine now.

gregsedwards wrote:

So, I installed HP ProtectTools on my EliteBook 8560w running Windows 8 Pro.I setup Windows security protection (not preboot). Now my login screen is completely hosed. It just keeps flashing purple with a spinning mouse cursor. The keyboard is totally unresponsive. I have to kill the power to force a reboot. Tried a system restore which did nothing. Any ideas?

Honor Student
XanTech
Message 7 of 7 (9,578 Views)

If you are still having issues with Shutting Down, you can create a desktop shortcut to do so.  For some odd reason, using the command line script to do so seems to shut the system down just fine even when selecting shut down normally consistently fails. 

Just right click on your desktop, highlight New and select Shortcut.

Where the field is to enter the location, input "shutdown.exe /s /t 0" (minus quotation marks).

On the next screen enter whatever name you want for it, then Finish.

Whenever you want the system to shutdown then you can just double-click your shortcut. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation