Question
LightScribe compatibility with Windows 8
Replies (18)

Honor Student
jv2e
Message 11 of 19 (7,198 Views)

Re: LightScribe compatibility with Windows 8

You are right... I finally suicceeed in downloading and installing. I had to run it as administrator & the had to solve the compatibility issues.

Not exactly customer friendly, but yes, it works. 

Top Student
junglebassman
Message 12 of 19 (7,051 Views)

[ Edited ]

Almost gave up but got it to work.

Go to Download page for Lightscribe and download latest LS (system update file). It doesn't say for windows 8.

Save it to a folder on your desktop.

After downloading is complete go to folder and find the the file and right click it.

Click on troubleshoot compatibility whch will open window  and click on try recommended settings then click on test the program. You may get a message to allow computer to change settings.

Leave this window open and click on the actual file to install the program.

It should now install and you shouldn't get the inadequate operating system message. If you do you didn't follow steps above

Problem is strictly a compatibility issue....hope this helps as I labored to find this solution\ rather than buy another program.

Student
mdpugh
Message 13 of 19 (6,543 Views)

Have you actually tried to label a disk?  Before I found this forum, I had no problem getting it to install using compatibility settings, but when I actually tried to _use_ LightScribe, it did the same thing as when I tried to install it under Windows Server 2008 R2: it made a black ring-shaped smudge around the disk where the print should have been, as if the laser wasn't in sync with the rotation speed of the drive.  Getting LightScribe to install on Windows 8 is only half the battle.

Student
Tom_Hall
Message 14 of 19 (6,003 Views)

Guys - the software (once installed), does work ok on Windows 8 - the problem is the installer program checks the version of Windows which is where the "inadequate" message comes from

If you can't get round it by using compatiblity-mode, here's how to hack the installer (See the post from  "srogers") at:

http://www.lightscribe.com/discussionboards/index.aspx?g=posts&t=3072

Remember though, that this thread is about Windows 8, so set VersionNT = to 602 instead.

-Tom

Student
Cris02997
Message 15 of 19 (5,077 Views)

l

Tutor
Christopher715
Message 16 of 19 (3,983 Views)

Really?  I've been burning LightScribe discs in my NEW burner that I bought in November 2013 and I'm using Windows 8.1 and have NO difficulties burning whatsoever.

BTW, Amazon?  Still has TONS of "older but 'new in box'" LightScribe DVD burners AND the blank media to go with it. 

I just burned 4 discs with LightScribe this morning in W 8.1 with no problem.......

Honor Student
Ivorytickler
Message 17 of 19 (2,447 Views)

I've been told by Best Buy personnel, by HP Personnel, by Geek Squad personnel that yes, Lightscribe should most definitely be compatible with Windows 8.  However, when I call Best Buy Tech Support, HP Tech Support, NO ONE TO DATE HAS BEEN ABLE TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE.

Just heads up!  Too many glitches in WINDOWS 8.  I would never recommend it to someone who is in business or is needing a reliable operating system.  BE WARNED!

Honor Student
Ivorytickler
Message 18 of 19 (2,447 Views)

Please E-mail me, because I am running Windows 8 and have tried to load Lightscribe Control Panel on my system and I continually get error messages saying there is a compatibility issue.  What software choice did you use.  My first external Lightscribe CD drive contained NERO software that included Lightscribe software.  (I haven't tried that one.  The second was an LG Lightscribe with Cyberlink Control Panel.  No results with that one.  Would you  mind Emailing me at doveseyemusic@gmail.com?     PPPLLLZZZ ?????

Honor Student
dave-mirose
Message 19 of 19 (2,403 Views)

I also heave tried everything recommended to get Lightscribe to work in 8.1 without success. I get the error message" A communication error has occurred with Lightscribe drive. Please restart your PC and try the label again" The same message comes up using Surething, Roxio and LS Simple labeler. Anyone with a valid fix could reap rewards from all of us users of LS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation