LightScribe compatibility with Windows 8 (17342 Views)
Student
josie2600
Message 1 of 19 (17,342 Views)

LightScribe compatibility with Windows 8

Since HP is in the process of phasing out LightScribe Direct Disk Labeling technology, see...
can anyone tell me whether HP will continue to provide the LightScribe System Software that’s required to support the technology in the forthcoming Microsoft Windows 8 operating system? Thank you.
Josie
Provost
erico
Message 2 of 19 (17,331 Views)

Re: LightScribe compatibility with Windows 8

If the LightScribe utility worked in Windows 7 it should work with Windows 8

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
davidlb07
Message 3 of 19 (17,182 Views)

Just because Lightscribe worked in Win7 does NOT mean that it will work in Win8.... and it doesn't. I'm running the Win8 Release Preview that was released in early June 2012 (maybe late May 2012?) and the Lightscribe download available from both HP and the Lightscribe site do NOT work with Win8. At the start of the install you get an error stating "This operating system is not adequate" or something similar....

Honor Student
Will_Chill
Message 4 of 19 (16,422 Views)

No. It does not work. With Win 8. I get the same message: "the operating system is not adequate." /
Student
MacThizzle
Message 5 of 19 (16,406 Views)

I can also verify that lightscribe does not work in windows 8 RTM Final :smileysad:

Top Student
AltmanTC
Message 6 of 19 (16,076 Views)

I am also trying to get Lightscribe to work on Windows 8 Pro x64 RTM.  Any ideas on how to get it to work?  It looks like HP discontinued development of Lightscribe.  However, I can't really imagine that Lightscribe would go away any time soon.  Has something replaced Lightscribe on the newer drives?

Honor Student
Will_Chill
Message 7 of 19 (16,070 Views)

I suppose use an adequate operating system as Win 8 suggests to do. I've checked at the Windows 8 forums regarding Lightsccribe. No answers. Its early with WIN 8. I'm hoping someone will fix this compatibility when other seemingly more important issues have settled. There is no other similar technology to my knowledge.
Tutor
keifeelsgood
Message 8 of 19 (16,012 Views)

There's an alternative lightscribe program that works with Windows 8. The program is by SureThing [SureThing Disc Labeler V6]. Here is a link to the System Requirements page of the program :

http://www.surething.com/disclabeler/software/requirements

I read on a forum somewhere that there is an SE version available on the net for free, but I

haven't checked this out to confirm it. I cannot recall the forum, but a google search should do the trick. I hope this helps.

be-well
Honor Student
jv2e
Message 9 of 19 (15,952 Views)

I am not surprised HP has to fire people around the world: this is the fourth time for me personnally they are not capable of supporting the products they sell: HP printer 1120 C - purchase price 1200 €, scanjet 7400c, approximately the same, film scanner S20 and now the lightscribe technology, which I unfortunately purchased included with a philips DVD writer.

In addition it is almost impossible to get contact with HP-support.

I wonder how long this message will be on HP formu, but I will make it a target to publish it on all computer forums I can find.

Student
MysticMoon
Message 10 of 19 (15,641 Views)

I can tell you that it does work with Windows 8. I just got the Windows8 pro 64 yesterday and put it on my computer. I used Lightscribe with no error messages. My problem is there is one ring around it. Anyone think that could be a problem with Win 8 or is it something else?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation