HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
05-04-2012 02:19 AM
I have a HP Pavillion dv6-6004tx notebook computer, and I recently upgraded it to the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Build 8250). I would like some troubleshooting from those who have/are experiencing this and may have found a way around it.
As far as the specs of my computer goes:
Intel Core i7-2720QM
6 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6700M
Intel Graphics Family
The problem lies within my display drivers. Some of you may also have a Switchable Graphics feature installed in your computers. But for those who don't, basically what it is is a feature that allows one to switch their display adaptor from a Power-Saving GPU to a High-Performance GPU, and vice versa.
In my case, as you can see above, the High-Performance GPU is the Radeon 6700M, while the Power-saving GPU is the integrated Intel one. My problem deals with not being able to switch back and forth between them, like I was able to back on Windows 7. As this is a feature of AMD Catalyst Control Center, I have searched their website and they actually have a supported driver version for Windows 8 CP, albeit it still being a beta and sometimes glitchy.
(As you can see, my model: AMD Radeon HD 6000M Series is listed)
After installing the Control Center, I restarted and a pop-up notifcation tells me that:
"The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your AMD graphics driver, or enable your AMD adapter using the Displays Manager."
I found this odd at first, as my model clearly was listed. But after some inferencing, I realized that my computer must be running on the integrated Intel graphics by default. This was further reinforced when I tried playing some games and other applications (It would be slightly choppy - as experienced before when I had forgotten to switch back onto High-Performance GPU).
The AMD Radeon card used to have an error (The device won't start. Code: 10) under device manager, but with a fresh install of the driver obtained from AMD, it seems to be working fine. However, my computer is still using the Intel card by default, and I have no way of switching to the other GPU as Catalyst will not start.
Has anyone found a way around this?
Solved! Go to Solution.
05-05-2012 12:15 AM - edited 05-05-2012 12:30 AM
I'll give you a two way to make it work!!!! There is so much incompatibilities with the FIRST METHOD listed, you won't get use a Intel (less power consuming card) GPU to work after the changes! you've got to wait till HP let's it work properly or deal with power hungry AMD GPU even in battery mode .
THE SECOND METHOD listed works without any problem with compatibility in any apps BUT IT IS Require pace and order ( may be exhaustive for newbie's, no worries listed below got all the info you need to make it work)
SO the first option:
NOTE:THIS WILL TRIGER THE OUTCONTROL EVENTS SO PRECAUTION METHODS I WILL ADVISE FURTHER AS WE GO STEP BY STEP _ DOWNLOAD CHROME IF YOU RUNNING INTERNET EXPLORER ( GRAPHIC CARD WILL WORK WITH GAMES BUT NOT WITH METRO APPS THEY WILL NOT CRASH JUST NOT LAUNCH
ALL THE METHODS BELOW TESTED BY MYSELF AND GET WORKED YET MANY INCOMPATIBILIES STILL WILL REMAIN USE IT ON YOUR OWN RISK!
as i can tell all the games working properly yet battlefield 3 won't launch
1. AT first make sure that windows UPDATE IS SWITCH OFF or let you choose to download and instal (not automaticly or it will update ur device (at device manager) without ur permision and all eforts are gone!
2.uninstall AMD Catalyst from "program and components" at control panel, then uninstal all the devices Intel and AMD at device manager at the control panel (check unistal driver at intel HD driver)
3.reboot! after reboot download this http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/win8/amd_cataly
4. instal sp53025.exe at windows 7 compatibility mode (it'll unpack by default in C:/SWsetup)
then start the istalation make sure u choose a "custom" , THIS IS CRUCIAL - uncheck the CATALYST (check all the rest intell driver amd driver ect.) after the instalation do not reboot
5. Next start the instalation of the windows 8 consumer preview driver from AMD.
uncheck all the rest ( after the sp53025 there will be only AMD driver (check/uncheck) and the catalyst (check/uncheck) box available) uncheck the AMD driver and install only the CATALYST driver!!!!
Reboot! Enjoy !!! There will be no CATALYST(only the intel preference and settings where the CATALYST should've be) at the right mouse click but switchable graphic is now awailable LIKE THIS
Unfortunately you'll won't be available to choose between the INTEL and AMD ! AMD is now working by default
All the .exe will now recognize 6770m
AND METRO APPS WON"T WORK!!!!!!! AS internet explorer will crash as you'll open it
SECOND METHOD IF THE FIRST FAILS (WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE IF HANDS ARE STRAIGHT MORE OR LESS)
FURTHER IS TESTED!
THIS METHOD EXCLUDE THE METRO APPS CRASH AND ALL THE REST INCOMPATIBILITIES WITH EVERY EXECUTABLE PROGRAMS AND GAMES!!!!
Note: Requires knowledge to sign your own drivers, disable signing enforcement at boot and modding some inf files.
I am not responsible for any damage that may arise. This guide is not exhaustive.
- .NET Framework 3.5 -- Can be enabled within Windows 8, in "Turn Windows features on or off"
- Windows Driver Kit (WDK) -- Can be downloaded from here
- Configure Windows Update to only "Download updates but let me choose wether to install them", and hide both Intel and AMD updates. This is to prevent our driver be updated by Windows.
1.Download the latest switchable graphics drivers from this site: leshcat blog IT Tips & Tricks: Catalyst 12.3 Pre-WHQL UnifL for Switchable Graphics
2. Run the installer that will extract the contents of the file, by default it will ask you to disable "Signing enforcement of Windows", you will know that it is working after rebooting because a "Test Mode" watermark is added to the desktop, above "Windows 8 Consumer Preview".
3. At this moment, do not run the AMD installer yet. We need to modify some files. By default, the driver will be extracted to "C:\Drivers\Catalyst 12.3 Pre-WHQL UnifL".
4. Go to this directory, and open the following file "Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\C7133662.inf"
Do the following changes:
In the section [Version] add:
There is a section that has the listing of all the supported cards. Rename it from "[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1]" to "[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.2]"
It should look like this:
[Manufacturer] %ATI% = ATI.Mfg, NTamd64.6.1, NTamd64.6.2 [ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.2] "%AMD68F2.1%" = ati2mtag_VancouverC_PXAI, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68F2 "%AMD9519.1%" = ati2mtag_VancouverC_PXAI, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9519
5. Follow this guide to Test-Sign a Driver Package. (This guide is generic)
6. After the previous step, you should have a Catalog file and the inf file we modified previously.
7. Now proceed to run the AMD installer in "Win 7" Compatibility Mode. It is most likely that the driver install will fail at this stage, but the rest of Catalyst software will be installed.
8. Now install the driver using the "Have disk" method in device manager and your modified INF for both Intel and AMD cards.
9.If you did the test-signing process correctly, the installation will succeed for both cards.
10. Reboot and enjoy your switchable graphics under Win 8.
I still have to figure out how to make brightness controls to work.
BTW sorry for any grammar mistake, I am not a native English speaker.
- Sometimes switching may not work, resulting in BSOD.
- When AMD gpu is active, Intel driver context menu options are still available.
AMD gpu can be turned off, so battery will last longer.
05-05-2012 05:16 AM
I can very understand you Adam! i've been through a lot forums that has no clear answer before i've manage to get it work with pin and fail, dedicate some time to help makes my day)
05-05-2012 05:25 AM
12.4 instead of 12.3, should I use this one instead?
05-05-2012 06:02 AM
Thank you so much for your time ScoopDev, it really means a lot!
05-05-2012 06:36 AM
that's why i suggested the first method))) i'm glad that helped you! any further error let me know i'm lookin forward to contribute windows 8 efforts!
06-17-2012 10:30 AM