Message 2 of 10 (2,878 Views)

Re: Windows 8 Start Menu add on

Thanks !

MS MVP Windows
Master's Graduate
Matt_Lo
Message 3 of 10 (2,839 Views)

I used the stardock for a while. However, I've pretty much gotten used to the "full" start screen now so I finally unistalled it. It's wierd, at first, I missed the old start menu and now it seems like a step backwards.

I guess MS knew what they were doing after all :smileyvery-happy:

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 10 (2,829 Views)

Matt_Lo wrote:
I used the stardock for a while. However, I've pretty much gotten used to the "full" start screen now so I finally unistalled it. It's wierd, at first, I missed the old start menu and now it seems like a step backwards.

You have been successfully indoctrinated.

Regards, Microsoft Corporation.

:smileywink:

Master's Graduate
Matt_Lo
Message 5 of 10 (2,828 Views)

[ Edited ]

Mumbodog wrote:

Matt_Lo wrote:

You have been successfully indoctrinated.

Regards, Microsoft Corporation.

:smileywink:

*sniff* This is the proudest day of my life :smileyhappy:

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
Intern
Namerico
Message 6 of 10 (2,706 Views)

Hi guys,

i recommend all of you to use a little bit more windows 8 consumer preview then you´ll see that this new setup has its benefits and with Metro style, inspite of that in my opinion it was designed for touch devices, it has its advantages even in non touch devices.

We have every program and "shortcut" to every installed program in our "home" screen but if you don´t like it you could use other tool for adding start menu to classic desktop.

visit this link and download this util:

http://www.lee-soft.com/vistart/

from what i´ve could test, win8 in overall is way better than win7.

regards,

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 7 of 10 (2,705 Views)

Namerico wrote:

from what i´ve could test, win8 in overall is way better than win7.

regards,

Please list all of the way better aspects of W8, and I will list all of the nice things removed from Windows 8 that are still useful and needed to be productive on a desktop PC, and by productive I mean making a living using a PC as a tool.

Intern
Namerico
Message 8 of 10 (2,699 Views)

Hi Mumbodog,

nice to see that there is someone alive here :smileywink:

Positive aspects win 8:

- boot time ( shutdown and restart) - way faster than win 7. i know win8 uses some kind of hibernation instead of real shutdown but it works.

- TaskManager with several more details about running Apps and Services.

- ISO and VHD native support in win8. - we could use hyper-V to have virtual machines installed on computer without the need of installing Microsoft Virtual pc, VMWare or Oracle VirtualBox.

- Storage Spaces - Provides a way to mix and match drives to create virtual storage pools( possibility to have backups in a ISO image working as a HDD) you could set this to work in mirror mode to write files under varios virtual hdds". advantage is that you could set the image to have a max size of ex 100GB but that is not occupied on hdd, ISO or VHD files will occupie space as long as we add new info to it until the designated max. When this happen a message will warn us about low storage space and we could create another virtual drive.

- In regards to Networking, if you use notebook, you´ll find this options very usefull,

Metered Networks - this feature minimize the amount of data sent over your Internet Connection so when using a network with data usage caps or charges by megabyte you won´t be affected by windows updates and apps auto updates. Tiles from Metro style apps will only be updated until a max of 50mbs.

if you fly oftern you will find the "airplane mode" usefull - this disables WIFI,Bluetooth and NFC radios.

- Windows Language - Unitl now we had to use MUI or LIps to change default windows language to the onde desired but this features where only available on windows PRO and Ultimate, with win 8 all versions except the starter have this option a few clicks away.

based on this, my experience is... so far so good :smileyhappy:

didn´t test it yet for gaming but for support and also for daily usage, nothing to say...

Master's Graduate
Matt_Lo
Message 9 of 10 (2,698 Views)

Nice list, Namerico.

If I may add also: Device uniformity. Win 8 will be the first OS that will work on non-enterprise consumer tablets (and hopefully x86 phones one day). I will be able to download an app to my tablet and then go home, hop on my desktop, and use that same app without having to get a "desktop version" or anything like that.

Intern
Namerico
Message 10 of 10 (2,691 Views)

Matt_Lo,

that is true and we have to keep in mind that Win8 also support ARM processors commonly used on mobile phones and tablet pcs.

Other feature that is implemented and will help on future developments of what you´ve said is the Microsoft connect account that will work on the cloud :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation