hp simple pass identity protection not working with windows 8. (25872 Views)
Honor Student
Dewan
Message 1 of 37 (25,872 Views)

hp simple pass identity protection not working with windows 8.

HP pavilion dm4 1006tu

Windows 8 consumer preview

Tutor
hmmmmmm
Message 2 of 37 (25,839 Views)

Re: hp simple pass identity protection not working with windows 8.

hi. i am facing the same problem. installed  it on my dm4t-1000. when i type in my password, it gives an error saying incorrect password.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 3 of 37 (25,812 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Dewan

Hi,

Uninstall current driver and software for fingerprint reader and restart system.

Resource:
Uninstalling Software in Windows 7

Uninstall or change a program in Windows 7

Download and install Validity fingerprint reader driver from here.

Download and install HP SimplePass Software by DigitalPersona for fingerprint reader from here.

Restart system and check the results.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
Dewan
Message 4 of 37 (25,802 Views)

@Daniel

None of the files to gave could be installed. Following were the errors:

sp48509.exe - Error : Software requires windows XP/Vista or 7.

sp55909.exe - Error:1722 There is a problem with the windows installer package. A program run as a part of setup did not finish as expected.

I was earlier using "windows 7 home premium" and HP simple pass worked great but after I migrated to "windows 8 consumer preview" I have started getting this problem.

Tutor
italiano1
Message 5 of 37 (25,080 Views)

I too am having the same exact problem.  My machine is a dv7 4285dx.  I have tried both versions (egistec) 7.1.5.9 and 7.0.74.0 with the same result.  The authentec versions will install, but don't recognize my fingerprint reader.

@Daniel

and no the answer is not to install a killed of version of the digital persona simplepass that stopped working way back with firefox 4.  That seems to be all HP wants to tell people is to use old and neglected software that they know isn't working.  This lack of care on the part of HP in the recent years really is hurting your business and driving away previously loyal customers.  Get with the program HP and give people a REAL solution.

Tutor
italiano1
Message 6 of 37 (25,074 Views)

I decided that getting this to work would be my project for today, and I'm glad to say I have it working.  The reason it says the password is incorrect is because by default user accounts created by windows 8 are microsoft accounts that are online rather than a local account on the machine itself, so when it tries to authenticate your password it can't find your user account at all, thus causing the error.

What you need to do is go into PC Settings, click Users, and then click the button to change to a local account.  Create your local account (make sure you use the same password).  Then setup the SimplePass program.  After you have it setup go back to PC Settings, then Users, and then click the button to switch to a microsoft account.

Honor Student
Daminsky
Message 7 of 37 (24,383 Views)

I have the HP Simple Pass working with IE in Windows 8, but it is not prompting me or loading at the login screen.  I'm trying to login with a domain account, not the Microsoft account.  I have the later version of Simple Pass installed (sp55910).

Intern
PigVomit
Message 8 of 37 (24,177 Views)

Unfortunately, HP is really slow on updating their SimplePass links on their support pages.

You can download the most current version directly from Authentec by going to this link here:

http://support.authentec.com/Downloads/DownloadManager.aspx?Command=Core_Download&EntryId=27

This is for SimplePass 2012 version 5.4.0.620.

This is actually a far superior and less instrusive version than on the official HP links.  It will automatically also install a browser toolbar, which I hated.  You can get rid of this by closing the browser bar and confirming that you want to disable it for the future.  However, for SimplePass to continue working, you must uncheck the box that will also disable the SimplePass Browser Helper Object.

When I first tried to install this as an upgrade to a prior version, I had A LOT of problems.  The solution was to uninstall all prior versions of SimplePass prior to installing the above version.  And, yes, it works flawlessly on Windows 8 with Internet Explorer 10.

Honor Student
Dewan
Message 9 of 37 (24,134 Views)

Thankx a lot

will try it for sure :smileyhappy:

Top Student
BYBOBB
Message 10 of 37 (22,379 Views)

Any advice.

no launch of simple pass on launch of program after installing version 6.x.

Also simple pass launches with finger print scan and you can launch aps/sites but account info is not populated by simple pass.

trying to get all to work before upgrade to W8. This is same result as the install of HP Simple Pass Version 12./6.3

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation