Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 32 (26,936 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 Laserjet 4M driver

Windows7 did not include HP4 driver family at all in the evaluation dvd which I understand but when I go to HP I had also noticed that I can't download any Laserjet 4 family drivers for XP or Vista.  It only state that we can get it from Microsoft Windows installation or auto update.  Is HP totally rely on Microsoft to distribute HP printer drivers support and download?  Now how do I extract my HP4M driver out of Vista DVD?  or I should ask this question to Microsoft?

Interestingly, I go to Dell site to download old laptop drivers (xp, vista etc) any time. What happen here?

Accepted Solution

Re: Windows 7 Laserjet 4M driver

r2d3 wrote:

Windows7 did not include HP4 driver family at all in the evaluation dvd which I understand but when I go to HP I had also noticed that I can't download any Laserjet 4 family drivers for XP or Vista.  It only state that we can get it from Microsoft Windows installation or auto update.  Is HP totally rely on Microsoft to distribute HP printer drivers support and download?  Now how do I extract my HP4M driver out of Vista DVD?  or I should ask this question to Microsoft?

Interestingly, I go to Dell site to download old laptop drivers (xp, vista etc) any time. What happen here?

The Laserjet 4M drivers (and many others)  are actually available through the Windows Update process.  Try the following:  go to the Printers folder, select Add a Printer, select the appropriate port, then when the "Chose a Printer Model" dialog comes up select "Windows Update".  This will take several minutes to download the new drivers available, have patience in this step as it can appear the application is hung but it takes some time.  When the list reappears select HP as the manufacturer, there will be four or more choices for the Laserjet 4/4M driver including 300 and 600 dpi Postscript versions.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 32 (26,957 Views)

r2d3 wrote:

The Laserjet 4M drivers (and many others)  are actually available through the Windows Update process.  Try the following:  go to the Printers folder, select Add a Printer, select the appropriate port, then when the "Chose a Printer Model" dialog comes up select "Windows Update".  This will take several minutes to download the new drivers available, have patience in this step as it can appear the application is hung but it takes some time.  When the list reappears select HP as the manufacturer, there will be four or more choices for the Laserjet 4/4M driver including 300 and 600 dpi Postscript versions.

Regards,

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Message 3 of 32 (26,892 Views)

Thank you.  It works.  Actually I tried it before then I thought it was hung and terminate the process.  A few questions remain (1) do we really need to make printer installation this complicated? (2) why HP does not post their driver on HP site? (3) trying to imaging if this was the Windows7 release date or major corporation deployment how many support calls will this generate?  Both HP and Windows7 will be blamed for this thoughtless move.  Why can we (1) include the all HP drivers in the Windows7 installation DVD (2) make sure HP keeps their own drivers on their web site regardless how old the printer is.  It is HP's obligation to support their customer and they should be rely on others.

Why we always tried to make things more difficult than it is?  Is common sense really does not exists anymore?

Provost
Message 4 of 32 (26,914 Views)

r2d3 wrote:

Thank you.  It works.  Actually I tried it before then I thought it was hung and terminate the process.  A few questions remain (1) do we really need to make printer installation this complicated? (2) why HP does not post their driver on HP site? (3) trying to imaging if this was the Windows7 release date or major corporation deployment how many support calls will this generate?  Both HP and Windows7 will be blamed for this thoughtless move.  Why can we (1) include the all HP drivers in the Windows7 installation DVD (2) make sure HP keeps their own drivers on their web site regardless how old the printer is.  It is HP's obligation to support their customer and they should be rely on others.

Why we always tried to make things more difficult than it is?  Is common sense really does not exists anymore?

I had the same experience the first time I did this, in fact I filed a bug report because it appeared broken.  I think they made some changes for RTM that will show progress a bit better.  Aside from this one time delay I think the installation process for printers in Windows 7 is better than in past versions, especially for networked printers.  I was pleasantly surprised when I installed WIndows 7 to find it had found my network printers and automatically installed them without requiring my intervention.

I would expect HP will post drivers on their web site once Windows 7 is released on October 22.  Personally I would rather have the items show up in the Add Printer dialog rather than have to visit the HP web looking for drivers, the less intervention required the better in my view.

As for including all the drivers on the Windows distribution DVD's, this has become impractical due to size limitations.  HP alone has hundreds of  (a thousand or more?)  printer models.  Add in the other printer suppliers and space requirements for including all the drivers on the distribution disc become prohibitive, taking several Gb's of the 9Gb media.

Users running Windows 7 who have a slow internet connection will have issues with this model, but that is likely to be a small set of folks.

Regards,

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

Honor Student
Message 5 of 32 (26,964 Views)

Windows7 is a good platform.   The successful of this product will not only depending on the great features within also how easy the installation going to be.  I am very surprised how smooth the Windows7 installation went for my home build machine.  I don't even need to hunt for any drivers at all, all automatically detected (except the HP4M).  Great jobs.

I am agreed HP has tones of printer drivers may not be feasible all included into the Windows7 installation DVD.  However, HP should keep every single driver within their own web site because when comes to  looking for a HP printer drivers HP is the last place I will go.  I really don't understand why you can't find the HP4M driver at HP web site.  Why?

People do judge the content (feature) from its cover (installation).  To win over the majority IT acceptance, a simple, easy and straight forward installation is a must.  Who want to deal with the issues of driver omissions on top of thousands PC/laptop roll out.  You would be surprised how many "old printers" out there and still working and people has no intension to replace them.  HP should be proud its workmanship and how well they used to build their machine rather but now they are abandon their supports.  It is a stupid move.

Again, thank you for helping out my installation.  I always appreciate good technical help.

My next stop, Windows7 touch screen.  Well, I need to search for the drivers first right?  If people think Iphone is cool wait until they get loaded with this.  That will make Windows7 really shine.

Provost
Message 6 of 32 (26,951 Views)

r2d3 wrote:   I really don't understand why you can't find the HP4M driver at HP web site.  Why?

HP has not posted any drivers for W7 yet on their site, they say the drivers will be posted close to the release date of October 22.  The page here says:

Please Note: HP does not support Beta or test versions of Windows® 7. Please visit Microsoft non-HP site regarding support for these versions.

HP Software & Driver downloads will be available closer to the official release of Windows® 7, which is scheduled for October 22, 2009.

Regards,

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Highlighted
Student
Message 7 of 32 (25,704 Views)

Hi Bob! A procedure you described above really helped. But there was one strange Windows feature or probably a bug... as it always happens with Windows. A first bug I discovered in Windows 7, which is actually much better than its predecessors.

When I tried to installed my LaserJet 4MPlus network printer on Win 7 64 bit by clicking Add Printer, as you described above, there was NO Windows Update button visible. Finally, I selected an incorrect printer model and installed that printer driver. After doing it, I right-clicked on a printer, chose Printer Properties => Advanced => New Driver and ... what a miracle: Windows Update button suddenly appeared!

If you ask me how did I find this way, I would answer: a long practice working with a buggy Windows software.

Student
Message 8 of 32 (25,113 Views)

I connected my Dell Latitude to my HP4Plus using a USB to parallel converter  cable.  I downloaded the printer drivers but when I try to print the Form Feed light comes on the HP4 and when I put the printer offline and hit the Form Feed  button I get one line of text that appears to be some code, not the page I want to print.  Can anyone help me out?  Thanks.
Student
Message 9 of 32 (24,527 Views)

I installed the driver using the wizard and selecting my printer (add printer). The computer (Windows 7 64 bit) recognized the printer and prints but prints incomplete with the following error message:

ERROR:  invalidfont

OFFENDING COMMAND:  xshow

STACK

(lists 3 rows of numbers)

Any suggestions?

Thanking you in advance

I have a Laserjet 4m printer

Honor Student
Message 10 of 32 (23,929 Views)

Bob:

I followed your instructions for System 7 driver installation for an HP 4M.   I am using a Belkin USB to parallel cable.   When I attempt to update HP  - Apollo printers are listed in the update area.  Go figure.

At any rate, after researching the issue for about 4 hours.  I decided to go ahead and install the Apollo P-1200 driver.  It worked. 

Others who come here and are really in a pinch  to get something printed may want to give something that actually works a try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation