Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I could use this brand new tablet HP Pavilion x2 10.1 (32GB) exactly ONCE, or say it more precisely for one battery charge. And loved it. Then it was discharged, and the trouble began:

Since then, it won't turn on at all, even while charging. There is not even ANY sign (not even a light) if I press the Power button, and also holding it for 10 seconds and so on did not help.

As you can see here in the 1-star-reviews I am not alone with my problem with this HP Pavilion x2 10.1 (32GB):
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-10-1-inch-Detachable-Includes/product-reviews/B00NJF1IIG/ref=cm_cr...

So is this maybe a problem of the production?

Now for the questions:

0) How can I turn it ever on again?
1) Is the charger (made in China) responsible? Can I use another one and which one? Does it have to be 5V 3A, or is e.g. a 5V 2A also ok?
2) Is the charging electronic inside of the device not reliable?
3) Is there maybe another way to bring it back? Maybe you can charge it by the contacts of the dock connector? Or using some electricity measurement tool there what is going on?

43 REPLIES 43
HP Recommended

i have the same problem with charging and also the keyboard works sometimes then others not i believe manu fact issue i have to sit without moving my tablet  almost by far the most annoying upgrade ever

HP Recommended

On Amazon there are several users complaining about that it (the HP Pavilion x2 10.1) will not turn on again:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-10-1-Inch-Detachable-Touchscreen/product-reviews/B00NJF1PGQ/ref=cm...

I also found some "x2 wont turn on again" on Google, and similar.

I liked the device much more when it worked, and planned to use it for a light-weight journey in some days. If the keyboard would not work I could survive that, but a black screen and no life sign at all is too bad. A brand new device should survive a "little bit" longer than 1 battery charge 😉

Improvement ideas for HP:

1) if device is charging there should be some kind of LED showing that it charges (basic stuff), seems there is nothing

2) there should be some kind of "real" "factory reset"

3) Please tell us if we can use other USB chargers, maybe it is just this

HP Recommended

The issue is solved, at least for me. Near/around to the power button I pushed a little bit around.

Seems there is some cold solder joint or some issue with a ribbon cable inside.

The battery seems to have been charged full, it started with 100%.

HP should re-check their production process and add some kind of charging indicator.

HP Recommended

Never complety discharge a li-on battery, It will loose all charge and the protection circut in the battery will stop all current. Replace the battery or leave the charger on untill you see somthing. batteries turn off when at 4 or 5% to protect from discharge. The batteries used have poor protection circuts, useally the protection chip, burns out.

HP Recommended
I agree, but: My battery was full 100% charged, when it finally started. Over that, it was only discharged once to about 10%, then charged (without any indicator) and then didnt turn on. And if you compare this behavior to us amazon s 1 Star ratings this seems to be something common., which should be fixed by HP, people affected send it back otherwise.
HP Recommended

maybe hp just failed at trying to make their own own surface lol. also maybe some nad contacts with the kayboard and mouse making a short? idk

HP Recommended

I just purchase this laptop as a present. I'm trying to set it up before I give it and I can't even get it to initially turn on. I'm so bummed out right now.

I've tried different outlets. I've put the plug in the outlet, then the tablet, pressed the power button and nothing.

Any ideas. :Crying:

HP Recommended

Seems this thread is "kept dead" like it does not exist, so I try to give a hint:
Did you really pressed and hold the power button for some seconds? I mean, just short press is not enough.

If long press and hold does not help, you may have the same issue like me and others (see Amazon.com 1 star ratings) that inside there is something not properly in contact. But it seems HP does not want to know about it nor fix it.

HP Recommended

try to hold start button for more than 5 second, try several times and you may luckly light up again. 

go to "control pannel" select "power options" and click "choose what the power button does"  at left side, click "change setting what are currently unaviable" and scroll down to "shutdown settings", uncheck "Turn on fast startup(recommend)"

try it, that may fix the problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.