Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just got my 608 with windows 10 preinstalled from factory. I have some similar issues, I wonder if any solutions are out there yet. 

1. Battery drains about 10% per hour while on sleep mode (even if I put it in airplane mode and battery saver). Any clues what I should do? This is a dealbreaker. 

2. Battery shows 5 min, 3 min, 1 min left no matter how much charge it has. I can live with this for a while, but not with the battery drain on sleep. 

3. Similar issue like you with the auto-brightness. It does not work well but the workaround is acceptable until a fix is issued. 

HP Recommended

Agreed that the brightness workaround isnt too bad.

I have a burning question. Does your touchscreen in windows 10 ever completely stop responding until a reboot?

I need to know if my device is faulty despite sending it in twice for repairs (first time to replace the screen, second time to replace system board).

If you can use it for two days without this issue, mine is probably faulty.

HP Recommended

My first 608 I received in September had that screen issue (and a load of others including issues with recognising LTE, upgrading to 10, LTE signal and in the end BIOS going to factory mode that not even the L2 guys in the HP office could help with).

At the time I think they thought the screen not responding (HID gonig missing basically) was a Windows 10 issue that the 1.06 BIOS would fix but if you have that installed and are still seeing the issue you probably need it looked at.  My original tablet hit the factory mode issue before 1.06 came out so not sure if it would have fixed it.

I do wonder if there was a bad initial batch though, my replacement took 4 weeks to arrive due to no UK stock but it is like a totally different machine and one I'm very happy with. The LTE worked first time in both 8 and then the upgrade to 10 and the signal reception is great and so far (touch wood) there has never been a loss of the HID so I'm confident in not having to cart around a keyboard and mouse to redescover the HID in device manager or do a graceful reboot.

Oddly the screen for me seems to come on full brightness quite often so I have the workaround of having to toggle the auto-brightness off and then back on again so hopefully future drivers/BIOS will fix but its not a killer.

Yes even on this replacement I've had the odd battery drain (I had to uninstall the audible app as that was going mad in the background) so I've added the hibernate button to the start menu and use that when I know I'm going to be travelling (so I know there will be power when needed). I'm not sure if it is going into the lowest sleep mode when the case is closed but haven't had time to fully investigate.  I've alsoe turned off the downstream USB charging after I put it in my bag attached to a usb-c external charger that was charging it when it was on but which ended up being charged by the tablet when it was off.......(one flat tablet resulting).

Still, since the replacement (which actually came with the correct stylus in the box) I can actually recommend it now. It even feels snappier.

Cheers, Alex

HP Recommended

So BIOS 1.0.7 came out yesterday. I bravely installed (after the issues I documented last time) and it installed OK. Took about 2-3 mins to install and at times it appeared nothing was happening, but bear with it. However, I do not see any obvious fixes. The touchscreen has gone unresponsive in under 24 hours, battery indicator is still not working, auto-brightness doesn't appear to be working. What are HP playing at? Maybe these early batch of 608's are faulty? 

Gabe-A have you contacted HP again? Can you let us all know how you get on? I'm about to go travelling for 2 weeks and then will be on to HP. I've waited long enough for fixes now and they do not appear to be forthcomng. Frustrating to say the least. 

HP Recommended

Ok, my replacement one does show the battery level correctly in the taskbar. I've also got Battery Bar installed and that reports drain etc as I'd expect.

I'll take one for the team and try the 1.07 update on my functioning 608 and report back.

Alex

HP Recommended

Updated to 1.07 for a couple of days now and haven't noticed a difference (which is good given my replacement tablet actually works well)).  I'm wondering if 1.07 is just 1.06 but updated not to require the keyboard input on reboot after flashing.

So if your tablet is playing up like my original one did it might be worth raising a call to see if it should be replaced. I've still not had a loss of HID control etc.  Occasional resume from sleep issues but how much of that is the 608 and how much is just current state of Windows 10 not so sure and no worse than on many other devices.

HP Recommended

Hi Gabe, see my post here but it seems USB charging Pass-though may not be an HP limitation. I've found it to work with the MS Continuum Dock at least:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/Microsoft-Continuum-dock-HP-Pro-Tablet-608-USB-Charging...

HP Recommended

I owned an HP Pro 608 for less than two days.  I purchased a SanDisk 200GB microSD card which the tablet could not recognize, read, write or format.  Even worse - if I attempted to do any of these things, my tablet would typically freeze up and then I would have to hard reboot.  Thinking it was a problem with the card, I tried it in a different computer and it worked like a charm. 

So then I tried a 1GB card in the tablet and that one worked fine.  No issues whatsoever.

Thinking there was a size limitation (even though the documentation said it was 2TB!), I next bought a 128GB SanDisk card and all the problems returned.  Tablet wouldn't read/write/format and oftentimes froze up.  Tried this card in another computer and, again, it seemed fine.

So now, having spent over $200 on useless memory cards, I was completely frustrated.  I called customer service and said there was either a problem with the tablet or HP's documentation was wrong and I needed assistance on figuring out which one it was.  I then got hung up on twice.  HP has without a doubt the worst customer service I've ever experienced.  Ultimately I ended up just calling a final time to return it.

This one had Win10 as well.  I'm not having any of the other issues described in this thread, but could anyone tell me the maximum size microSD card they are using with this tablet?  Are there people successfully using a 128GB or 200GB card?  Or is my tablet just a bad one?

HP Recommended
I have a 128GB 633x Lexar one in mine without issue. My original faulty tablet that had a ton of issues was fine with a 64GB Lexar 633x card too. I did have some windows 10 quirks with bitlocker on the SD card in the way auto-unlock was working but given I'm only using the SD for media files I've disabled it.

Might be worth doing a full format of the card in another PC to see if that makes any difference. Oddly (and having used SANDISK cards for years without issue) my previous NVIDIA Shield tablet had issues with my SANDisk card, hence my move to Lexar. Anyone you can borrow a different vendors card off perhaps. Cheers
HP Recommended

Thanks Alex. That's good to know. I wonder if it could be an issue with SanDisk? (Ironic if true as I purposely bought them to be sure I was using a reliable brand.) Wish I could test out this theory but I haven't had any luck trying to borrow another card and I can't keep buying more memory cards that don't work. I'm thinking the tablet needs returned which is really disappointing.  Has anyone else reading this had luck with SanDisk? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.