Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Does the HP Stream 7 support connections to 5GHZ wireless N? The Realtek driver that is included shows B/G/N connections. I am unable to connect to a a 5GHZ Wireless N network I have running. I have tried creating the connection manually, but it doesn't see that wireless network at all. Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It only supports 2.4GHz network. All you need is to allow your router to broadcast dual bands. It will see the 2.4GHz band.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

It only supports 2.4GHz network. All you need is to allow your router to broadcast dual bands. It will see the 2.4GHz band.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Probably I have the same problem but even if my wi-fi network is enabled for 2.4 and 5Ghz I couldn't find the network.

I'm using my wifi with notebook, tablet and smartphone without problems.

With HP Stream 7 I couldn't see my network in the network list.

I could connect a mobile modem and I see all my neighbors networks.

What should you suggest ?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem. The issue is that the Stream 7 doesn't properly work with all European WiFi channels - specifically, not with Channel 13 (which is probably what your router/access point is using).

Try changing the Channel to something else, e.g. Channel 1, and you will almost certainly be able to connect.

It's quite annoying.

HP Recommended

Mine is like this too.  It can see all the 2.4Ghz networks, but no 5.0Ghz networks.  It's a bummer, but I guess that's one of the ways they got it down to $99?  I wonder if other low cost tablets are like this too?

HP Recommended

@jm2c wrote:

Mine is like this too.  It can see all the 2.4Ghz networks, but no 5.0Ghz networks.  It's a bummer, but I guess that's one of the ways they got it down to $99?  I wonder if other low cost tablets are like this too?

Many of HP's Android tablets are like this also - only 2.4ghz wifi available.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

I tried the solution you suggested; changed the Channel from 'Automatic' to Channel 1; Enter WEP pw, Stream 7 Device still not able to connect to the router.

Also, changed Channel 2; same issue.

NOTE: I have the FiOS Quantum Router that supports both 2.4 and 5MHz protocols; currently set to 2.4Mhz (legacy).

HP Recommended

I am experiencing a similar issue. I have a WD Mynet 750 running OpenWRT. The router is dual band, the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks broadcast different SSIDs.

The tablet refuses to see the 2.4GHz network. I have tried using several different channels (1, 6 and 11). A the other household devices, 2 rokus, tablets, smartphones, fire TV sticks and laptops see the 2.4GHz network easily. I have updated the BIOS and used the newest drivers to no avail.

The tablet does see other networks, though not nearly as many as other devices. My temporary solution is to connect via my guest network which uses a homebrew router running OpenWRT on a raspberry Pi. However, even that connection is tenuous. Connection speed/throughput is pathetic there are no dropouts but cannot even eke out 1Mbps.

Yesterday I tired to use the Miracast function / wireless screen function an that fails fantastically, not sure if it is related. The wireless hardware does not perform as well as that in my $20 phone.

Unless I can resolve the issue, the unit will be returned.

HP Recommended
You know what's rediculous? It can connect to a hotspot at a restaraunt or business but it refuses to connect to my home router. I have continued to try several times to resolve this issue but I'm still getting the same bogus results. It could be that the Realtek Network Adapter is older then some routers because. I tested my Aunts' Comcast 2011/12 router (She has it secured with WEP as well) and it works perfectly fine. I've checked for updates for the adapter a several of times to make sure that it's up to date and it says that there isn't any updates. So there is some kind of issue there. I mean I don't know what else to say. The Verizon router that doesn't want to connect is a late 2014 model and for some reason it just doesn't have a good connection with this specific device.
HP Recommended

Yes it is frustrating.

I should also note that it fails to recognize the 2.4GHz network even in an open, no security, configuration.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.