Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hi, I've just bought a stream 7, and plugged it in to charge. After an hour it's showing "96% Plugged in, Not charging". Is this right? I would have thought that it would have got to 100% before it would say that?
35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

I too have the same issue. I'm wondering if it's a "Battery saving" feature. However it would be nice to know....Not a bad little tablet otherwise for $99....

HP Recommended
Since this post, i let my tablet go completely flat, and watched what happened. It seemed to constantly charge up to about 89% then after that it went from, charging, not charging , charging again etc, so I think maybe it's OK and you are right?
HP Recommended

I have the same issue, my stream 7 stops charging around 60% and stays there. I tried the let it completely drain before charging suggestion, that only gets me up to 80% but subsequent charges stop at 60%. I even tried charging with the computer off, and that makes no difference that I can see.

HP Recommended

I picked a Stream 7 up just the other day and noticed the same issue. Would only charge to 98%. Thinking I had a bad cell in the battery I went back to the Microsoft store where I purchased it and swapped it for another new one. Upon returning home and charging over night before powering it up I soon found out after setting it up this one too did the same thing. Being curious I plugged in a keyboard via a OTG (on-the-go) usb adapter and pressed F2 while it was booting to get to HP's diagnostics screen. Under the component tests I could clearly see HP's bios was reporting the battery to be at 100%.

Hopefully HP releases an update to correct this incorrect battery level reporting to windows OS.

Now if I could just figure out what is wrong with this screen ghosting now along with the dust under the screen. Looks like another exhange is in order. Really wish HP would get their act together with this product, has some great potential for such a nice price. 😞

HP Recommended

Sorry for the cross post (I started a different thread/post with some of this content). So I did some troubleshooting with different combinations of chargers and cables. Here's what I found with my s7:

With S7  booted up:
5Amp USB charger & generic USB cable => charges then stops.
5Amp usb charger & HP USB cable => stops charging after a few minutes
Generic USB cable & HP charger => Stops charging at 60%
HP Charger & HP USB cable => charges to 100%
HP USB cable & Apple iPad charger => stops charging at 60%
USB battery with 1.5 Amp port & charge only cable => stops charging at 70%

5amp USB charger & charge only cable => starts then arbitrarily stops charging 
HP charger & charge only cable => starts then arbitrarily stops charging 
2amp Car charger with attached microusb cable => doesn't charge, but also doesn't drain

With S7 turned off:
5Amp USB charger & generic USB cable => no charge logo screen
5Amp usb charger & HP USB cable => no charge logo screen
Generic USB cable & HP charger => no charge logo screen
HP Charger & HP USB cable => charge logo screen comes up & charges to 100%
HP USB cable & Apple iPad charger => logo screen comes up doesn't complete charging.
USB battery with 1.5 Amp port & charge only cable => logo screen comes up doesn't complete charging.

5amp USB charger & charge only cable => no charge logo screen
HP charger & charge only cable => no charge logo screen
2amp Car charger with attached microusb cable => logo screen comes up doesn't complete charging.

HP Recommended

Is there something special (in control panel ?) that needs to be done to show the battery percent of charge - my tablet works fine but there is no indication of the battery level except for the battery icon in the system tray (lower right) - if tablet is shut down and I plug in the charger there is NO indication anything is happening, I must boot up and check the above mentioned battery icon - the words user friendly don't come to mind ...

---------------------------------
Slate 10 HD 3500us (Android)
Stream 7 - 5701 (Win 8.1)
HP Recommended

This is an enlightening thread. I have a new Stream 8 and the initial charge experience was similar ( did not check the BIOS though). It charged incrementally. I let the battery run down to when the S8 shut off automatically. It recharged to a reported 98% available plugged in and not charging. Karl

HP Recommended

Chimed in on another similar thread. After a painful call with support, it's apparently a "feature" for the battery to stop charging. There's no reliable way to get to 100% 😞

I was told this is how new HP tablets/computers work.
Which is crazy because literally every non-hp device i presonally own or use for work does not do this.

I guess I'm old fashioned, the lack of 100% is really bugging me.

HP Recommended

I know laptops today will not allways charge past %95, but not really as bad as stopping at %50 and %60. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.