Question

Top Student
TabletPC_User
Message 1 of 14 (1,207 Views)

Why is the HP Omni 10 limited to 2GB of RAM?

Why is the HP Omni 10 limited to 2GB of RAM?

The Z3770 SOC is a great 64 bit processor which is limited to 4 GB RAM. We would like our users to run PowerPoint which slide shows (which tend to have large graphic images), would not 4GB RAM be better than 2GB ?

Thanks for using the Z3770 and not the Z3740

Teacher
KenEsq
Message 2 of 14 (1,180 Views)

Re: Why is the HP Omni 10 limited to 2GB of RAM?

Give it a try. I haven't noticed any issues based on the 2GB of RAM. Would 4GB be better? Perhaps, but it appears to be the choice made by Dell, HP and Lenovo so far.

I've had bigger problems with the 32GB or RAM (~14GB after setup and Office install, system restore and both swap files filling). 64GB should have been offered.

Top Student
TabletPC_User
Message 3 of 14 (1,166 Views)

I have a hunch that the issue we consumers are facing is that Windows 8 hardware manufactures believed that they are competing with Android and iPads, where as corporate users and people like myself want a Windows PC in a Tablet form, we want more than just an oversided phone for web viewing and email. This means 128 GB SSD at a minimum and perferably 256 or 512 GB.

Other issues we face are the lack of Mobile Broadband and biometric logon (e.g. Finger print reader).  You can purchase an iPad with mobile broadband, why not a Windows 8 tablet?  After all, the idea of having a Tablet is so you can use it anywhere, but without mobile broadband you cannot.

But still I wonder why a limitation of 2GB RAM ?  Our PowerPoint presentation users have issues where PowerPoint slide shows being too slow to work with, which I believe is due to memory swapping as 2 GB RAM is just not enough when you also have Outlook and other applications running.  This brings me back to the idea, are the current Windows 8 Tablets "Tablet PC's" or are they just trying to be iPad equilevants.  I guess there are two separate markets?  What are you using your Tablet as ?  1) a PC that is portable as it is in a Tablet form, or 2) as a Microsoft iPad equilevant

Intern
sebr
Message 4 of 14 (1,160 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think the decision for 2 GB was very wise. First of all it would increase the unit cost by a large amount while this device is obviously aimed towards people with low budget plus most of them would not not even take advantage of the increased memory. Also Windows 32bit  is only able to make use of about 3.25 GB RAM. Of course you might think switching to a 64bit OS would solve it but you have to take into consideration that these have a higher memory consumption. That is why for systems with 4 GB RAM a 32bit OS is still recommended. Last but not least one key feature of Win 8.1 is only available on 32bit OS: Connected Standby.

If you having a PowerPoint presentation slowing down your Omni there's either a problem with your device or the presentations are bloated beyond imagination. I have noticed that too at work where employees become careless about image size just shooting pics and taking videos on highest resolutions and paste them without thinking into their PP presentations. And then bothering our department with ID10T errors ;-)

Top Student
TabletPC_User
Message 5 of 14 (1,148 Views)

The Surface Pro 2 seems to get by fine without Connected Standby (which as you said, currently requires 32 bit windows).

You are correct, users expect that hardware should not limit the resolution of their presentations.

Would the HP Omni 10 with the Z3770 well and truely out perform the Tablets that use the Z2760 ?  I guess you have had some use with the HP Omni 10.  Mabye its extra processing power will over come the Powerpoint performance issues?

I understand that at this time there is no keyboard available for the Omni 10, I am hoping one will be released soon.  For our users, a portable keyboard/cover is mandatory. It is like buying a car without tyres.  You cannot do much but read without a physical keyboard.  If it does not have a keyboard then it not really a computer, it is just an iPad alternative.  Many people are looking for an iPad alternative, but we are looking for a PC in Tablet form. Maybe we are looking at the wrong item.  I have a bit slow catching on, but I think I am finally understanding, I am looking at the wrong devices, expecting them to be what they were not really designed to be.  This would also explain why they only have 2GB of RAM.

Teacher
KenEsq
Message 6 of 14 (1,145 Views)

I would like the option of a bigger HD, but on a device like this could live with 64GB. When you start getting to 256GB SSD you're talking about a much more expensive tablet.

As for mobile broadband...that's becoming less and less important as every phone and US provider offers tethering options. They're included in the Verizon mobile phone service now. There's little reason to pay for an additional plan as well as the significat. How many people are carrying their tablet and don't have a phone nearby.  There's just little reason to pay extra for a WLAN modem in the device as well as another data plan.

I'd be really surpised if your PowerPoint presentations would bog down the Omni 10. It's graphics capabilities are pretty good...I had no problem with HD video for instance. The only issue might be data access coming off the SD card.

Top Student
TabletPC_User
Message 7 of 14 (1,139 Views)

256GB SSD approximately equals $250, expensive?, compared to a employee's salary, not that expensive.

Dedicated mobile broadband is less that $400 for the year. Mobile phone batteries go flat way too fast when used for business purposes. One missed sale from a flat mobile phone battery could have paid for the year's mobile broadband.

Too much time lost in turning WiFi on/off on your mobile phone.

For my personal purchase, yes, I would not want to pay the extra for mobile broadband. But there is a very large business market out there for companies who release a full business Tablet solution.
Top Student
TabletPC_User
Message 8 of 14 (1,132 Views)

I checked a 2GB Windows Tablet, and it was running comfortability at around 1.4 GB RAM usage.

Checked a Desktop Windows 8 PC with 2GB RAM and it was running well at around at around 400 MB of RAM usage.

It seems as suggested above, 2 GB RAM is quite fine for Windows 8.

Teacher
KenEsq
Message 9 of 14 (1,114 Views)

I was speaking to the market for this device, which retails at $400. The features you're talking about would drive the device up close to $800. You might want to look at some of the nicer Lenovo tablet/laptops for your needs. I just don't see the Omni 10 as a business solution. 

I disagree on the mobile WiFi. I can run my HTC One in tether mode for hours without issue. It takes all of one button press to turn it on. Certainly, it's a choice, but for many businesses saving $400 x thousands of employees is significant. Generally, most mobile locations also have access to power where the phone/tablet can be charged if necessary.

Honor Student
TravisGuy
Message 10 of 14 (705 Views)

I found a micro sd 32Gb on sale at Amazon for about $20.  It's a SanDisk Ultra class 10 so it shouldn't be crap, but I could have got a cheaper brand 64Gb for the same price, but I wanted the speed and brand reliability.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation