Question

Honor Student
azrancher
Message 1 of 5 (987 Views)

hp omni 10 hdmi port problem

love my new omni, but the hdmi port does not seem to work. When I connect it to my TV, I get no out put. Also, with the cable plugged in, my keyboard becomes erratic. Letters are repeated, random letters appear on the screen input field, and frequently the keyboard disappears (as if I minimized it or hit the return key). Once I unplug the hdmi cable, keyboard functions normally.

Are these known issues with the omni 10 and/or Windows 8.1?

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 2 of 5 (891 Views)

Re: hp omni 10 hdmi port problem

Hello azrancher. Welcome to the HP Forums. I understand the tablet is experiencing HDMI issues. After significant research, there are only two alternatives:

- The Windows operating system is corrupt, and is unable to recognize input signals. Therefore, the resolution is to backup your date and reinstall your Windows operating system.

- The hardware is faulty, which is causing the glitch you are experiencing.

To test the hardware, you will need to reinstall the operating system. Please reference this document to obtain information regarding this task: Performing an HP System Recovery

If reinstalling Windows resolves the issue, this proves that there was a software conflict. If not, this indicates a hardware failure. I would contact HP Phone support for additional assistance. You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I'm only here to help!

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
azrancher
Message 3 of 5 (860 Views)

I hestitate to completely reinstall wondows when there are no other indications of any sort of issues with the OS. I also see no HDMI driver loaded (nothing under displays, ports, nor video/sound).

Shouldn't there be an HDMI port driver loaded in Window 8.1 that comes pre-installed on the Omni 10?

Teacher
bataki
Message 4 of 5 (853 Views)

The instructions they have given you are the fastest way to know if there is a software conflict or a hardware issue.

I'll try to help anyway.

The hdmi conector the tablet has is HDMI type-D connector (I think it has a micro-hdmi port, not a mini-hdmi).

To connect to tv you need a micro hdmi to hdmi cable (and be sure it supports audio)

You say there is not hdmi driver in the tablet? Then this could be the reason why it's not working. It could be because something installed that has created conflict or because any windows update.

-If you know the brand of the hdmi you could go to the website and from there download the driver. Maybe someone else with the tablet could help you telling you the name of the driver and brand.

Here are the manuals http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4157&product=6608628&sw_lang...

- You could try installing the HP drivers (check the date of the drivers) http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4157&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=6608...

- Check also the drivers of the Intel graphic card.

- If none of this solves the issue, back up your important files and recover the system, in that way you will know if the tablet came or not with a problem in the hdmi port.

Once you have connected the cable...

Set up your screens

Once you connect another screen, you can choose options for your second screen. Here’s how:

Step 1: Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Devices. (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Devices.)
Step 2: Tap or click Project, and then choose one of the following options:
-PC screen only. You’ll see everything on your tablet screen. (When you're connected to a wireless projector, this option changes to Disconnect.) 
-Duplicate. You’ll see the same things on both screens. 
-Extend. You'll see everything spread over both screens, and you can drag and move items between them. 
-Second screen only. You’ll see everything on the connected screen, and your Surface screen will be blank.

You can also use the keyboard shortcut (Windows logo key +P) to change your options for the second screen.

From http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/music-photos-and-video/connect-surface-pro-to-a-tv-di...

I hope you get to connect it via hdmi. You can also connect via wireless (Miracast) :smileywink:

-

Grad Student
Lou-Stule
Message 5 of 5 (712 Views)

[ Edited ]

1st-off — let me say that I have no problem using either USB or HDMI on my Omni 10, and no additional software is required. There are 3 software updates for the Omni 10 on HP's site, and stuff from Microsoft trickles-in on a daily basis; since my Omni is always up-to-date,  I cannot say if any of those updates will help in your circumstances... However, to simplify identifying your HDMI connection problem,  I suggest you temporarily disconnect any USB devices, and then attempt to get the HDMI connection working properly. The display software will default to "Duplicate" mode so you'll still be able to control the Omni via its touchscreen. It may be helpful to use an HDMI cable and a port on your TV which you know already work, so there will be fewer unknown variables to consider; beyond that, when your tablet senses an attached HDMI cable, it will default to landscape mode and 1920 x 1080p , so you'll see black bands at the top & bottom of your tablet screen, corresponding to the shrunken vertical dimension (1200p down to 1080p) that's also a good indication that your tablet has successfully detected an attached micro-HDMI cable or adapter.

If you're still unable to get anything  projected from your tablet to the TV, then possibly a hardware glitch is preventing it; having some known-good components to substitute can help to more-quickly identify the culprit. Beyond that, HP Support techs are up-to-speed on HDMI connection issues, so that's another source of assistance — 24/7 in the US, @  (800) 474-6836.

(Once your HDMI issues are resolved it will be far-simpler to address any remaining problem with using the Omni's USB port at the same time.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation