Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP spectre and love it, but I keep brushing the touchpad when using the keyboard.  I'd like to be able to turn the touchpad on and off.  How can I disable/enable the touchpad on an HP spectre?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hard to say. Likely due to the tablet design nature of the notebook, but I can't say for certain as I'm only technical support. I have no information regarding updates. There might be some third party utilities out there that will work for you. Some I'm aware of are Touchpad Blocker and TouchFreeze.

Thanks.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hey @p_j_alvarez,

Welcome to the HP forums.

I understand you want to disable the touchpad on your HP Spectre notebook.

It would really help to know which model Spectre you have, there are more than 300 models that have Spectre in the name. For information on finding your product or model number click here: Finding Your HP Product Model Number.

Not all notebooks have a hot key or shortcut, such as double tapping the top left corner of the touchpad, but any Windows PC can disable the touchpad in Device Manager. You should find it listed under "Mice and other pointing devices."

Thanks.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Deku is correct, there is a plethora of Spectre models that have been distributed over the years.  On some models, there are touchpad disabling capability in the function keys.  Check there to see if you spot a touchpad icon on one of your function keys.  Another option is that many of the spectre machines had touchpad enable disable on the touchpad itself.  Looks for a touchpad icon at top left or top right of the touchpad OR what appears to be a 'pinhole' that would show an LED when the touchpad is enabled/disabled. 

If you are able to provide the product number or specific model number, we would be able to provide exact specs on if you have that function.

I work on behalf of HP
Please click “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos "Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I am an HP employee

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Model Number is 13-4003dx.  It's a new (1 month old) Spectre 360 laptop/tablet combo.  Of course I have already tried the device manager, where the touchpad options are limited to delay time before a touch registers (none, short, medium, or long).  I have also tried double-tapping, and tapping and holding, the upper left corner of the touchpad.  And there is no touchpad toggle button.  So I am utterly out of ideas/options. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Sounds like you checked the touchpad settings, not Device Manager. Device Manager does not give device options, but manages the hardware recognized by Windows and allows you to uninstall, disable, or update drivers and devices.

Press the Windows Key + R > Type devmgmt.msc > Click OK. Expand the Mice and other pointing devices section. If you see the touchpad in here right click on it and select Disable. If you don't see the touchpad here it may be listed under Human Interface Devices.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

See specs here for pointing device.  shows no on/off functionality:

http://store.hp.com/wcsstore/hpusstore/pdf/l0q51ua.pdf

I work on behalf of HP
Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos "Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

I am an HP employee

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Yes, sorry, I was in touchpad setting not device manager.  I found the touchpad in the device manager and right clicked it.  Unfortunately, "disable device" is grayed out and is not selectable. I could uninstall the device, but I do want to use it occasionally so prefer not to do that.  Any chance a future update will offer a "disable" option in touchpad settings?  Is this a Windows 8 enhancement?  If so, should I direct my requests for such an enhancement to Microsoft?  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hard to say. Likely due to the tablet design nature of the notebook, but I can't say for certain as I'm only technical support. I have no information regarding updates. There might be some third party utilities out there that will work for you. Some I'm aware of are Touchpad Blocker and TouchFreeze.

Thanks.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

TouchFreeze installed and seems to be working.  Nice because it disables touchpad while typing yet still allows me to use the touchpad as mouse cursor!  Why didn't Synaptics come up with this?  Oh well, thanks Great Deku Tree!

HP Recommended

I cannot disable the touchpad on my hp spectre.  There is no model number printed on the back of my spectre, but have the following info:

Prod K8P98AV

SCT RCPIN7214-0488

IC 1000M 7265NG

I've tried to disable via the device manager and it continues to run.  

Can you help?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.