12-03-2013 11:25 PM
I got my HP Omni 10 5600us a few weeks ago from a Microsoft store. I exchanged my iPad particularly for this device.
What I'm seeing is that at intermittent times the OS (Win 8.1 Pro 32 bit) just locks up and becomes unresponsive. I have to do a hard power cycle to get it back up and running. Has anyone encountered this and found a solution? I tried the suggestions on HP's website, although there are no drivers or bios updates listed for the product.
I otherwise really like this device and aiming to use it when I don't have to lug around my laptop.
12-05-2013 02:15 PM - last edited on 04-20-2016 10:46 AM by OscarFuentes
I see that you are having some issue with your Omni 10. Do you get any error messages when it freezes? You mention that you tried the suggestions on the HP website, did you mean the document below?
Computer Locks Up or Freezes in Windows 8:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I work on behalf of HP
12-08-2013 02:47 PM - last edited on 04-06-2015 09:10 AM by george-p
Mine is also locking up and I have already visited the troubleshooting document you listed. Here are the symptoms I've experienced and troubleshooting details:
- Attempted to download something from The Microsoft Store and get the following error message: "This app can't be purchased because your current internet connection is slow."
* Tested connectivity and verified that I have a strong connection.
* Browsed the web with no problems.
Wrote this off as a Microsoft Store issue (caching problem perhaps?) or a Windows issue.
- Proceeded to run Windows updates. At this point the system locked up. I attempted to shut down the system by holding down the power button and was prompted to slide down a window to shut down...doing so did nothing. I pressed and held the power button longer and finally got the machine to shut down.
Pressing the power button didn't start up the machine. Pressing the power button for about 20 seconds finally got the machine to boot again. I was able to successfully run Windows update although there was only an update for Silverlight which installed successfully.
- I attempted to download an app from the Microsoft Store and it got stuck on downloading this time...for eternity. I attempted to go back to the desktop by pressing the desktop tile and although it registered my touch, nothing happened. Rebooted again same way as before. This time when starting up I didn't have to press and hold the power button, interesting.
- I was able to launch computer management and took a look at the system logs in event viewer. There are thousands of disk warnings with descrption, "The IO operation at logical block address xxxxxxx for Diskx was retired." Coupled with that are errors with description, "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WSearch service." This is likely due to the disk being intermittantly unavailable.
I understand this tablet has eMMC memory (Samsung MBG4GC) for primary storage. My guess is there's a driver issue with the drive controller. With that in mind I visited the HP Support website and tried entering:
S/N: [Moderator Edited Serial Number]
...no results. I know this is a new product and all but come on guys, surely you have some useful downloads available somewhere. I searched around the internet and couldn't find anything for BIOS updates or downloads. Also checked Intel's website and couldn't find anything there either.
Any suggestions on where to go from here?
- Now seeing these errors in system logs, "A problem has occured with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access devices."
- Attempted a full system recovery. This process required me to log into my Microsoft account (on another computer) so I could pull the key associated with my tablet. After entering the key I got a "Please wait" screen for about an hour. After that I was instructed to insert my recovery media. O.o Obviously that wasn't going to work so I tried other recovery options it presented...all required me to enter my account password but no on-screen keyboard would pop up to enter my credentials.
12-08-2013 09:41 PM
I had mine replaced from the MS store. Even after that I ran into some freezing on the new device, however I found out the hard way the device was becoming unstable only after I was connecting a specific bluetooth mouse. Stopped using that mouse and the Omni is a lot more stable now.
There are a few other kinks I've run into once after long usage: the Windows hard button stopped responding, and another instance the rear camera failed to initialize. Otherwise, I've been happy with the product's performance.
12-08-2013 10:50 PM
Glad you got yours replaced, nice work on figuring out the bluetooth issue. I finally got system recovery to work, it turns out the recovery sdcard wasn't getting recognized properly by Windows. After reinserting the card I was able to get recovery to work as intended. Kudos to HP for including this. Apple makes you use Internet Recovery now which only works on certain wireless network configs (I have a new MacBook at work without built-in ethernet). Giving customers a cheap recovery sdcard just makes sense and is a win-win.
After recovering to factory defaults and installing all Important Windows updates everything is working fine again. I looked through Windows sytem logs and the disk errors are gone. At this point I'm thinking the culprit was one of the following Optional Windows updates:
Broadcom - Bluetooth Controller - Broadcom Serial Bus Driver over UART Bus Enumerator
831Kb - Published 11/15/2013
Broadcom - WLAN - bcmfn2
3.5Mb - Published 10/4/2013
I'm not sure why either of those might have caused the issue but I guess I'm at process of elimnation now.
12-23-2013 11:53 PM
My brand new device randomly hard freezes also. I have experienced it both before and after installing the bluetooth and wifi updates mentioned above.
I have disabled secure boot,bitlocker and reset the TPM password, bit nothing has helped. I am very dissappointed in this device, although, I love the specs. I may have to return this if there is no fix released soon
12-27-2013 11:39 AM - last edited on 04-20-2016 11:09 AM by OscarFuentes
Hi BigBHaller. BHK6 provided the required troubleshooting for "Freezing In Windows 8". Did you try the steps outlined in the document? What were the results?
Computer Locks Up or Freezes in Windows 8:
I work on behalf of HP
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
12-27-2013 02:18 PM
Looks like HP has finally started developing their product support page for this. Currently it looks like only the stock drivers are available right now:
I am still experiencing the intermittant freezing as well. As mentioned previously and although helpful, the website that has now been linked for a second time doesn't appear to have anything that resolves the issue. I think a deeper look is needed here...
I hooked up a bluetooth keyboard (Logitech K810) and mouse (HP x4000b) and had my daughter use her tabet for a bit. It didn't take too long before she was calling for help because both bluetooth devices stopped working. I looked in Windows Event Viewer and the driver clearly crashed, making bluetooth unuseable. After restarting she was up and running again.
Digging further into bluetooth being the potential culprit, I notice HP specs show the bluetooth module listed as a Mitsumi DWM-W095A. I did some looking around but couldn't find drivers. However, I did find this CE Declaration from HP: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docn
I'll report back with my findings once I get a chance to test this out.
12-28-2013 11:39 AM
I too am experiencing freezing on my one week old HP omni 10 tablet. It tends to freeze at least once a day, which occurs randomly. I am not sure what is causing this annoying problem but I believe this is a software issue, which HP can fix with a bios update. Hopefuly HP can identify this problem we are all suffering and issue a real solution otherwise I have no alternative than to send back for a refund as this problem makes the tablet unrealible.
Come on HP sort this out ASAP!
12-29-2013 12:02 PM
@gallowji, did you find anything helpful with the broadcom drivers?
Side note, how do you access bios on this tablet?