Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP stream notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
So I haven't used my laptop in a couple days just because I haven't had homework.
Well I go to turn it on yesterday and the stream notebook laptop shows it's on. The light on th side that shows it's on is lit up. But th screen is black.
I've tried connecting it to the charger and pushing the home button with the H key and pushing the power button but nothing happens.
It's driving me crazy I have no idea what to do!
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Mercedes-Marie

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand your computer is powering on, however, you only have a black screen on display

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

What is the product number of your product? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03754824

(Do not share any personal information such as serial number, email ID, phone number or address on a public forum for your safety). 

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? Have you attempted a system restore?

Which operating system are you using?

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

In the meantime, please try with an alternate monitor or TV to confirm the cause of the failure,

Eager to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
The product number is X7V33UA#ABA

I've tried resetting it (but only worked the first time this problem came up a couple weeks ago)
The system I'm using is windows 10 with an intel processor. I haven't had this laptop more than a month, 2 months at most and I've already had these annoying issues with it.
HP Recommended

@Mercedes-Marie

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Do you have any updates about using your laptop with an external or alternate monitor to check if that has a display?

While you get the answer to the above question, try the below steps:

Please attempt the below steps:

Perform a hard reset

Attempt a BIOS recovery

Run the System Diagnostics tests

For more steps, click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you. 
If they did, that’s awesome! 
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I tried all of that. Nothing worked. The screen won't even light up when I turn it on as well. It just stays black but the light that shows you it's on is lit up and so is the light that indicates that it's charging.
HP Recommended

@Mercedes-Marie

I'd be honored if you could tell me what exactly is it that you mean by "I tried all of that", considering I had suggested quite a few steps,

The reason I need to know what you've done is so that we can get to a point where we don't end up suggesting the same steps you've already done and get a solution instead.

That said, if you've tried an alternate or an external monitor as suggested previously, could you tell me what the results where?

Do you have a display on the other monitor? If not, you might want to try the BIOS recovery I had suggested previously and if the issue persists, I'm afraid its a hardware failure and you'll need to Contact HP to set up a hardware repair service:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I've tried all the steps you've given. The screen won't even light up when it turns on. It stays black.
Creating the case and getting my laptop fixed, how long would that take? I need my laptop fixed as soon as possible due to school starting again soon and it's all online.
HP Recommended

@Mercedes-Marie

The repair time depends on your warranty and the service options you select for the repair, priority options could be available but I don't have the details available in my department,

I would request you to give them a call via the directions mentioned earlier and they should be able to help you get this fixed ASAP.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Them as in who?
Can I request the number on who to call from you?
I'm pretty sure it's under warranty for a year. I bought it from target
HP Recommended

@Mercedes-Marie

Thank you for replying,

If and when you follow the below steps, you will be directed towards the team/department that is authorized to set up repair services to resolve your concern,

Here's the list of steps again:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

By the end of the above process,
you should have a case number and a phone number to get in touch with HP hardware support.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.