Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Stream 7
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I have the Stream 7 that has Windows 8.1 with Bing and my question is that can this tablet read a fast Micro SD card like the Extreme from Sandisk? If not then I should just get a 128gb Ultra Plus to save money.  I seen a YouTube video of someone testing this tablet and they said no point of using fast Micro SD card and to use a normal Micro SD card like Sandisk Ultra Plus.

Intel Atom Z3735G

1GB DDR3L 1333mHz ram

32GB HDD

Intel HD Graphics

7" Touchscreen

Windows 8.1 32bit

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@DallasPikachu

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you want to what kind of Micro SD card can be used in your HP Stream 7 tablet. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• Please provide me the product number of the tablet to check the accurate specification.

Reply with the product details for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the Stream 7 5709 Siginature Edition I got from the Microsoft store localy. I know any kind of Micro SD card will work but just wanted to know if I got a nicer one like the Extreme from Sandisk is the tablet capeable of using the full speed that the Extreme can do? If not I can just get the cheaper Sandisk Ultra Plus.   Thanks

HP Recommended

@DallasPikachu

Thanks for the reply.

I made a research on this.

This card may work with your unit but might not achieve its full performance.

Because it not tested till now.

This unit will support up to 32gb expandable storage.

Click here and check input/output details under hardware specs in the document

I hope it helps and if you feel I have answered your question and concerns,

Please mark this post as a solution accepted and Kudos would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That is not the question I was asking I know the max GB this tablet can take. I' am talking about the read and write speed it can take.  Like the Extreme version reads 95mb and wirites at 90mb can this tablet read and write at that speed if I get the Sandisk extreme? If not I can get the cheaper Ultra Plus that is 80mb read speed and slower write speed.

I notced a lot of times the tech people don't understand what I' am asking they don't seem to understand the real tech questions. I' am not trying to be mean but this happens a lot.

HP Recommended

Hello DallasPikachu

I assume the only reason you are getting the card is for extended storage of your Stream tablet, correct?

If so, save your money and go for the cheaper storage. Those tablets are not speed demons by any means.

I am using the Sandisk Ultra Plus in my Stream 8 (only the screen size is different than yours) and Crystal Disk Marks results are not great. It does not get anywhere near 80 MB/s as the ratings say. Granted every PC will give you a different result but the speed difference in those two cards is not going to be worth the extra cost for a Stream tablet. 

Capture.JPGCapture 100.JPG

Concerning exact specs of the Mobo or testing are not going to be available by HP. So we can only go by real world examples by users.

BTW: I am using a 64 GB card and it recognizes it just fine.

Hope that answers your question. 

HP Recommended

That is the exact answer I wanted to know for my question.   Thank you very much.   HP techs sure aren't helpful.

I know any Stream 7 tablets can go up to 128GB so I will be getting that. But I wonder if it will even take 256GB I think it will if I had the money.

I had a similar question for the original Stream 11 notebook PC and I wanted to know if that notebook can read and write the Extreme from Sandisk. I did post a topic for that on the Notebook Hardware section on this HP support forums. Maybe you can reply on my other topic if you know.

Again thank you very much

HP Recommended

DallasPikachu wrote:

I know any Stream 7 tablets can go up to 128GB so I will be getting that. But I wonder if it will even take 256GB I think it will if I had the money.

I have not heard of anyone giving a heads up that it worked, but I dont see why not.

DallasPikachu wrote:

I had a similar question for the original Stream 11 notebook PC and I wanted to know if that notebook can read and write the Extreme from Sandisk. 

I dont have a Stream 11 laptop, but they are on the low end of the parts spectrum. They are the cheapest laptop HP offers.  I dont expect the SD card performance to be any better. 

HP Recommended

Well the HP Stream 11 notebook PC I have is the original one that has Windows 8.1 and it has a Intel Celeron N2840 processor which is like other notebooks that are around $250 range. Also it is a lot faster than the Intel Atom processor that the tablet has so I assumed it can read and write faster so maybe the Sandisk Extreme will actuall perform better.

I remember there was a Toshiba Satellite that had the same processor but just more ram and HDD space but the Stream 11 is like other entry level notebooks.

But in this case do you think it will perform better using the Extreme?

If you don't know I would like others to let me know if they know.

Thank you very much

HP Recommended

You could be right. I just wouldnt get caught up in numbers too much for storage purposes.

The difference between 80 and 90 is negligible for the cost.

Hopefully someone who has a Stream 11 will chime in on the other thread.

Good luck.:smileyhappy:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.