Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Swanlee wrote:

If any of you still own this tablet sell it. I had two of them one had the firmware issue with touch lag the other had wifi issues. It has been 8 months since we identified the touch screen lag issues and tried to bug HP to fix it and they have yet to fix it.

HP has abandoned this product and will not fix it and being stuck on 1.07 forever is going to hinder the tablet's ability to ever get new features or be more compatible with Win 10, their are fixes in later firmware for Win 10 specific issues.

This tablet is only good on paper in real life it is a complete disaster. i would advise you to sell the tablet on Ebay get whaever money you can for it and buy a Surface 3. Even though the Surface 3 is alot bigger it is still light and has given me no issues since owning it for the last 6 months. I returned 2 HP 608's and these tablets are a complete and utter disaster.

Handiest, thanks For the adviseI [ have decided to keep it HP just replaced the pen and the new one works like a charm, I'm actually writing this with the pen' I'm on 1.06, running w10 anniversary. Issues I have are the screen stops working after a few hours, crappy resolution with the Lumia type c adapter tot all that I need was A little tablet for taking notes and now it works great.I do have q Surface 3 as well

HP Recommended
I agree with you guys. This is one crappy tablet which HP don't care about any longer. I got my replacement tablet a little while ago now with BIOS 1.07 and had no touch screen lag. However, I encountered sleep issues in that the tablet never went to sleep, only the screen powered off leaving me with a near flat battery when I pull it out of my bag. I ended up upgrading the BIOS and the screen lag returned although not as bad as my original tablet. I still have power management issues though.

The tablet sits next to my bed and I use it pretty much as an ebook reader. It's useless for anything else.
HP Recommended

I quite agree with the comment that there is no viable 8 inch tablet on the market. (I spend quite some time looking for one, and this 608 is the machine, until I read this forum)

This is the only machine that comes with a suitable keyboard, attached securely with a Pen that also is small enough to fit in a suit pocket. 

I saw a few comments that it is an "abandoned" product, interestingly, we are only just getting them in Australia, means that no one will get a good experience.

It could have been good... So much potential, so much promise... It's a hard thing that they are trying to achieve I guess.

HP Recommended

There is a new BIOS today: 1.12. It does not mention fixing the screen issue.

Has anyone tried it yet?

HP Recommended

While the BIOS upgrade itself was a somewhat horrible experience (as almost everything related to this malicious device: I had to forcefully reboot the tablet twice during it's attempt in upgrading the BIOS as it had problems continuing the upgrade process after me having entered my BIOS password), it appers to have fixed this terrible touch screen lags.

I have another 608 G1 at hand and will upgrade that one later during the day after having more thouroughly tested the now upgraded device.

EDIT: I've just upgrded the 2nd 608G1.

This time, before doing so, I removed the BIOS password - and the upgrade went trough without a hitch. And I can confirm, that on this 2nd tablet, too, the touch lag is appears to be a thing of the past. Funny that HP didn't mention dealing with this issue in the documentation for the BIOS (alas, they have never officially acknowledged the problem).

Regarding the Atmel firmware flagged with a yellow bang in Device Manager: I don't have that issue on my two 608G1s.

EDIT2 (20160907): The touch lag is back on one of the two 608G1s currently in use. I had a complete system freeze (I'm running Windows Insider Previews on these tablets) and was forced to do a hard reset. Since then, that terrible touch lag is back. These 608G1s are frustratingly temperamental ...

HP Recommended

I can't wait to hear the hopfully good news for all of us!

HP Recommended
I've installed it too but when it did the restart, I too needed to hold the power button down a couple of times to power on the tablet to start the update under the UEFI screen. The touch seems to be a little better but responsiveness is still not the best. This might be more of the Atom performance itself.

My Atmel firmware still shows the yellow exclamation despite a reinstallation. I am on Anniversary Update which has significantly improved battery life when the screen is off so at least that's a positive.
HP Recommended

I've edited my original post on the subject. In sort: I have now two 608G1s with proper touch response.

HP Recommended

I updated the BIOS to 1.12 and verified that it is indeed installed by checking the BIOS version number in the BIOS itself. I still have the lag; it is unchanged, it is not fixed.

To dd-drahnier: The lag we all speak of can be tested this way: Open an app that needs to be scrolled, such as a web page in your browser of choice. Now if you wait several seconds without touching the screen, go ahead and now, using your finger, attempt to 'flick' the screen up or down. It should behave like scrolling a web page on your Android or Apple phone/tablet. 

The behavior that we have is that the web page on the 608 does NOT move initially, but then jumps. After this initial lag, things will work normally unless you stop touching the screen for 3 to 5 seconds, then it is as if the digitizer goes to sleep and wakes up again the next time you touch it, and the lag repeats.

This behavior is not fixed.

HP Recommended

@dd-drahnier wrote:

I've edited my original post on the subject. In sort: I have now two 608G1s with proper touch response.

Hi mate, what kind of screen lag did u have before the BIOS upgrade?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.