HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
02-26-2012 11:39 PM
Going crazy with this "local only" issue. Hundreds of threads about this problem. Very few solutions. My mother's laptop will connect via ethernet cable but not through the wireless card. (Atheros). I've spent nearly 6 hours dealing with this problem, ridiculous. Seriously, WiFi is a basic facet..and if phones can get it right, it shouldn't be that hard for a computer to do so.
Wireless connection "local only"
Compaq Presario C700
PN KN986UA #ABA
Atheros AR5007 802.1 1 b/g
Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router model WNR1000v2
1) Updated driver to from 5/30/2007 version to:
18.104.22.1686, release date 9/30/2009
2) Restored factory settings of router.
3) Attempted with WPA, WEP, and no security.
4) netsh int ip reset & reset logs
5) regedit per Microsoft on DHCPbitFlagToggle, after attempting the
related Microsoft hotfix.
6) Disabled firewall
7) Attempted to have Windows diagnose and fix.
8) Updated to Vista SP2
9) Test a second machine, it was able to connect to router fine. Tried connecting to another router with Compaq, failed. Problem definitely seems to be with the Atheros driver/networking stack.
10) All IP addresses check out and are configured properly.
...that's just what I recall off the top of my head.
02-27-2012 05:02 AM - edited 02-27-2012 05:03 AM
I think that driver is still to old to fix your problem. Use this one and I am very confident your problem will be solved.