HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
04-07-2009 10:44 AM
The wireless modem on my HP Pavilion dv7-1240us Entertainment Notebook does not work. Atheros AR5009 802.11 a/g/n WiFi Adapter. I purchased a VerizonWireless BroadbandAccess NationalAccess PC5750 PC card. After installing VZ Access Manager I inserted the PC card and waited for Windows to detect it. It does not. Verizon offered the following troubleshooting which is unsuccessful. How can I get an internet connection with my computer? How do I get Windows to recognize the PC card?
The computer doesn’t detect my PC card – what should I do?
There are several possible resolutions.
1. Make sure the card is fully inserted into the PC Card slot. Remove and reinsert if necessary.
2. Try another PC Card slot on the computer (if available).
3. Power down the computer and then remove the card. Next power the computer.
Drivers may not be installed or were installed incorrectly
1. The Drivers and Connection Software for the PC Card must be installed prior to inserting the card into the computer's PC Card slot.
2. If the PC Card was inserted before driver and software installation, unplug it, then remove the drivers through control panel > add/remove programs. Reboot the computer, then reinstall the drivers prior to re-inserting the PC Card.
Another application or device may be using the port
1. Verify that there are no applications running in the system tray that use the same COM port resources as the modem.
2. If so, exit/close the application and retry. Example applications: HotSync, ActiveSync, FoneSync, Fax Controller, etc.
Windows Update or Service Pack issues
1. The computer should have the latest service pack and/or updates from Microsoft Windows Update.
2. Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to determine if your system requires updating.
04-12-2009 09:27 AM
hi,maybe this is the problem.i went through 3 wireless internet cards before i figured out that my hp laptop will not take a standard square card.it will only take a hp card.hp support,belkin and linksys didnt think of it.u have to buy a usb wireless internet thing.i hope u have better luck than me though.i tried ayear ago and found the usb external cards to be exactly as lame as my factory pavilion 9348 internal antenna. (identical signal strength)
p.s. try them from "best buy" if u have one near.they let me return the three cards and the 2 usb antennaes with no fuss.