HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
08-30-2012 09:31 PM
hi, i have a new notebook HP Pavilion g4-2110TU with i3-3110m, 4GB ram, Win 7 Home Prem 64.
After initial HP startup, I installed: win 7 updates (to Aug 30), MS Office 2010 and MSE (ms security essentials).
My problem is getting wifi connection consistently and when it does authenticate (logs confirmed) notebook gets no IP from the wifi/router (says Limited access, Network and Sharing Center: flips between "Unidentified network" and my SSID).
Using default settings of DHCP to get IP from router/LAN. Ethernet LAN connection ok (currently used to access this site) but cannot see other workstations or devices on Workgroup.
Connection is via WPA2-Enterprise with self signed certificate. Router/wifi currently works fine with Mac, ipod and Freebsd notebook using same certificate and authentication.
Have tried with no success:
1. Uninstalling completely Norton Internet Suite 2012 (came pre-installed) with Control Panel and also uninstall utility from Symantec to ensure clean uninstall.
2. Switching off IPv6 (untick connection properties) and cold rebooting.
Steps taken to login:
1. installed self signed cert (tried both .PEM and .DER) by running certmgr.msc and import it into "Trusted root certification authorities" folder. Don't know if MS win7 rejects non .cer certificates but it seems to appear in the folder above fine and does authenticate ok (7 out of 13 times).
2. from Open Network and Sharing Center -> Manage wireless network:
add profile for SSID, select WPA2-Enterprise, AES. In Wireless Properties -> select Microsoft PEAP.
Under settings select my cert/CA imported earlier, and enter my radius server name, also select Secured Password-EAS-MSCHAPv2.
3. right click to connect on visible mySSID.
What is really odd is that it can authenticate but get no IP. And after the first setup and initial successful authentication it often fails (raidus complains that userid or pwd is wrong). I can then get authentication to work again if I set it up all over. Any ideas or suggestion most appreciated, this is my first attempt with Win 7 HP.
thanks in advance, jack