Question
Tutor
Message 1 of 3 (4,137 Views)
Accepted Solution

A wireless router, without a modem?

Hello HP Support Forums Users,

I have a question about setting up a wireless router. I was wondering if it was possible to set one up, without having a modem. Right now I connect to the internet by plugging an Ethernet cable, into the CAT5 port on my wall, then plugging the ethernet cable into the side of my laptop. Right now I have limited mobility, and would like to have my laptop be able to move from my little desk. So, is it possible to set up a wirless router without a modem?

Accepted Solution

Re: A wireless router, without a modem?

TannerJP wrote:

I have a question about setting up a wireless router. I was wondering if it was possible to set one up, without having a modem. Right now I connect to the internet by plugging an Ethernet cable, into the CAT5 port on my wall, then plugging the ethernet cable into the side of my laptop. Right now I have limited mobility, and would like to have my laptop be able to move from my little desk. So, is it possible to set up a wirless router without a modem?

Yes, just plug the CAT5 Ethernet cable into the WAN or Internet port on the wireless router.  This is what Verizon does for their FIOS service.
View solution in context
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 3 (4,135 Views)

TannerJP wrote:

Yes, just plug the CAT5 Ethernet cable into the WAN or Internet port on the wireless router.  This is what Verizon does for their FIOS service.
Tutor
Message 3 of 3 (4,131 Views)

Thank you!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation