Question

Tutor
mikegorf
Message 1 of 6 (11,334 Views)

Atheros AR 9285 Wireless Connection Problem Solved

I want to share an experience with the community in the hope that I have stumbled upon a soluton to an intermittant wirless-N connection problem I was experencing with my new Compaq Presario CQ61-429US.

I bought it in early May at Staples. A week or two later I started having intermittant breaking of my Internet connection. The laptop has a built-in Atheros AR 9285 wireless-N adapter and I connected to the Internet through a Belkin-N Router.

I found several posting on the HP forum sites describing similar problems with a host of different wireless cards. Many suggested updating the driver which I did with no improvement. I saw a posting suggesting a firmware update for the router. I did that with not much change. I even saw rants about Microsoft causing the problem and it would not be fixed until they got around to acknowledging that they had caused the problem!

The other day I was in Staples and I mentioned my problem to a techinal support guy. I described the problem but I added another factor which I had not considered. It seems that when I brought the laptop close to the router to update the firmware, the signal was greatly improved and I had no connectivity problem.

With that information, the tech guy suggested that perhaps my problem was loose antenna leads. When I got home I opened up the Wireless door on the bottom and pressesd down the two leads (black and white) to make sure they were firmly connected. Ever since then I have had NO wireless connectivity problems.

Hope this post is useful. 

Student
mickyparis
Message 2 of 6 (11,042 Views)

Re: Atheros AR 9285 Wireless Connection Problem Solved

hello, thank you very much for your precious post.I have exactly the same problem with a samsung laptop with the same atheros ar9285 wifi card; unfortunately i can't find the wireless door; i'm afraid i will have to send it to samsung, it's still under guaranteebut it will take time; unless you have a solution maybe.

kind regards

Student
JRandall
Message 3 of 6 (9,709 Views)

Can't believe this but that worked perfectly.  Had to leave the door open and mess with the wires for a min, could see networks come and go as I moved the wires around.  Think HP needs to change their connectors to something that actually "connects."

Thanks for the info.

Honor Student
Kent-Babcock
Message 4 of 6 (7,983 Views)

I think it's long past time for HP to "bite the bullet" and acknowledge that they have a pervasive problem with this hardware.  They need to find a solution and notify all users/owners that  use this card of that solution.  They then need to cover this under warranty regardless of time.

Honor Student
Kent-Babcock
Message 5 of 6 (7,959 Views)

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately that solution did not work in my case. I grabbed a USB Trendnet wireless adapter, plugged it it, made the connection to my home network and that. solved the problem. I'm still disappointed in tge Atheros AR9285 hardware. What I wrote above still stands.

Student
redrider647
Message 6 of 6 (7,459 Views)

I recently purchased an HP Probook 4530s with the Atheros AR9285 Wireless network card.  During initial setup, I could not connect with my Trendnet TEW 432BRP wireless g router.  I had 4 other devices that connected flawlessly.  However, I wanted to try and make it work.  I reset the router (reset button on back), reinstalled it, which didn't go so easily and required tech support help, and then switched the security from WEP to WPA and now the Probook and all other devices connect with no problem.  Among the other devices was an Windows 7 netbook, so I don't believe it was ever a Windows issue.  I hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation