Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello Support Forum

Problem with Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g adapter on Compaq laptop running Vista

Compaq Presario A931NR + Belkin Basic Router F7D1301 v1 (01)

Belkin told me I need to update the driver of my Atheros adapter in order to use WPA/WPA2.  I may only use WEP with the factory installed Atheros AR5007 802.11.b/g WiFi Adapter.  Device Manager reports the driver software for your device is up to date.

Atheros AR5007 802.11.b/g WiFi Adapter

Driver Provider: Atheros Communication Inc

Driver Version: 7.3.201.25

Driver Date:  05/30/2007

File Version:  7.3.1.25 built by WinDDK

Might there be an update for my Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g adapter
All replies most welcome  :generic:

TIA 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Let's take this from the top again...

I know for a fact that you can get your wireless card to work with your Belkin router. sm09 and others have been able to get the very same card to work on theirs.  I have every confidence you can too.  :generic:

No one more than I do (other than you perhaps), wants you to be able to connect to the internet as you had expected to in the first place.

The devil lies in the details.

Here is what I recommend...

1. Download this driver and remember where you saved it. Do not install it just yet.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-99392-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

2.. Go to your network and sharing center, and disconnect from your current wireless connection.

3.. Go to your device manager, click on the network adapters section, then right click on your Atheros wireless adapter.

4. Select, uninstall, and then if there is a box to check that says unistall drivers, check that box.

5. Restart the notebook.

a. It will detect the wireless card again, and may install drivers.  If it did install drivers, please go back to that Atheros device in the device manager and click on the driver tab. Check the driver version and date.

b. If it is 9.2.0.444 of sometime in 2011, then the driver you need to get your adapter to work has been installed.

c. if the driver is a different (earlier) date/version, now install the file you downloaded above. After installation go back there, and check to see that version  9.2.0.444 is installed now. It should have

6. If the wireless card it doesn't install when you restart the notebook, now install the file you downloaded above, and once again check to make sure version 9.2.0.444 is installed.

7. Go back to your network and sharing center and set up your wireless connection as you intended.  WPA2-Personal - AES.

8. Cross your fingers...

Paul

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is a much newer driver that hopefully will fix all of your issues:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Paul

HP Recommended

Hello Paul_Tikkanen

Thanks for your interest...

How do I know for sure that sp54972 is compatible with my notebook.

My Device Manager reports no updates.

My product Support page reports no update.

Software & Driver Downloads CompaqPresarioA931NR Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - Eng...   Vista 32bit

The link you posted is for an HP EliteBook 6930p (based upon tab info)

My product nor EliteBook are listed with Release Notes | Hardware Product Models

Compaq Mini CQ10 NetBook PC
Compaq Presario CQ43 Notebook PCSeries
Compaq Presario CQ57 Notebook PCSeries
HP 2000 Notebook PC
HP Folio 13 Notebook PC
HP Mini 110 NetBook PC
HP Mini 210 NetBook PC
HP Pavilion dm1 Notebook PC Series
HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook PC Series
HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC Series
HP Pavilion g4 Notebook PC Series
HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC Series
HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Series
HP ProBook 4230s Notebook PC
HP ProBook 4330s Notebook PC
HP ProBook 4331s Notebook PC
HP ProBook 4430s Notebook PC
HP ProBook 4431s Notebook PC
HP ProBook 4530s Notebook PC
HP ProBook 4730s Notebook PC

HP/Compaq sure don't keep it simple :indifferent:

Respectfully submitted

HP Recommended

Hi:

It will work on any Atheros card model listed in any notebook.

Supported Devices and Features
Atheros AR5006 802.11a/b/g WiFi Adapter
Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter
Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Atheros AR9380 802.11 a/g/n WiFi Adapter
Atheros AR9382 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter
Atheros AR9485 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter

It doesn't even have to be an HP notebook.

If you don't install this driver, you will have to live with what you have.

I am surprised it even connects to the internet.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks alot, Paul. This seem to have done the trick.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul

Curious, do you have the option to mark the Topic as Solved. 

As the OP ... I know I did not mark the Topic as Solved. .

My issue was not solved.  My WiFi was lost as a result of installing SP54972

sm09 issue may have been solved.    My issue is not. 

sm09 posted no system information

Did you mark the Topic as Solved 

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

It will work on any Atheros card model listed in any notebook.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't work on my Notebook.  My notebook is not listed.  

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, I do, and yes I did.

Sorry I did not read who posted that answer(that seemed to work for me), and assumed it was you.

Paul

HP Recommended
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.