Question

Honor Student
ChasssTO
Message 1 of 11 (26,663 Views)

Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter - cannot connect to the internet wirelessly

I recently upgraded my modem through Rogers and suddenly I cannot connect wirelessly through the internet. The Rogers guy said it is an HP problem and offered this advice:

"I have ran the test to check the installed device on your computer and I am noticing that you have Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter for the wireless connection on your computer and this card type is not able to connect to our SMC N gateway modem or with Cisco Gateway N Modem."

Can anyone advise me on how I can get back up and running wirelessly?

Many thanks in advance.

ChasssTO

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 11 (26,651 Views)

Re: Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter - cannot connect to the internet wirelessly

HI,

You have not given enough information.

Which HP laptop model?

Which OS is installed?

Why did you change (or have it done by someone else) the modem?

Unless you know for a fact that HP states that the atheros is compatible with your laptop -- have them put the original one back where it was. Laptop wireless network modules are not normally upgradeable. 

Is Rogers a certifed HP support  center? I live in Europe and have never heard of them. Are they a cable company or a retail store? Don't let a cable guy mess with your laptop.

Quite frankly it sounds like the guy is trying to give you the old smoke and mirrors routine.

The HP laptops that I have and have had have had not problems connecting to routers when both are properly configured.

regards,
erico

ChasssTO wrote:

I recently upgraded my modem through Rogers and suddenly I cannot connect wirelessly through the internet. The Rogers guy said it is an HP problem and offered this advice:

"I have ran the test to check the installed device on your computer and I am noticing that you have Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter for the wireless connection on your computer and this card type is not able to connect to our SMC N gateway modem or with Cisco Gateway N Modem."

Can anyone advise me on how I can get back up and running wirelessly?

Many thanks in advance.

ChasssTO

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
ChasssTO
Message 3 of 11 (26,618 Views)

Re: Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter - cannot connect to the internet wirelessly

Hi Erico,

I am running Win 7 (64) on an HP Pavilion dv7-3128ca.

I chatted with someone at HP and they basically told me I need a new wireless router in order to be compatible with the new modem. Rogers is sort of like the T-Mobile of Canada. I would say at least 1 in 3 Canucks use it as their provider so it is therefore perplexing that a huge company like HP and Rogers would be on different paths.

In any case, I hope the new router will do the trick. If not, it's back to the HP guy ...

Thanks for your message,

ChasssTO

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 11 (26,596 Views)

Hi,

ChasssTO wrote:

Hi Erico,

I am running Win 7 (64) on an HP Pavilion dv7-3128ca.

I chatted with someone at HP and they basically told me I need a new wireless router in order to be compatible with the new modem. Rogers is sort of like the T-Mobile of Canada. I would say at least 1 in 3 Canucks use it as their provider so it is therefore perplexing that a huge company like HP and Rogers would be on different paths.

In any case, I hope the new router will do the trick. If not, it's back to the HP guy ...

Thanks for your message,

ChasssTO

It all depends on the modem that Rogers uses. It can be quite a pain to have to use the command line to force the modem to release and renew the IP address. Some routers don't like to use 192.168.1.0 as a subnet and revert to 10.0.0.1.

regards,
erico 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
ripvaunwinkle71
Message 5 of 11 (19,234 Views)

I also am having connect issues, but not through my laptop I have the same model of router and such, but I need to change the MTU settings through the routers webpage, but I cannot find this webpage nor can I find a link to it through the router itself... its a bit puzzling really.

I even went and searched for a few hours today trying to change the MTU settings through the laptops link too its internet through the trouble shooting window that comes with the HP device I'm using, and still I cannot figure out how to fix this, I reset the router, I've tried too completely disconect from the router and reconect but still nothing, any ideas?

Honor Student
MarekO
Message 6 of 11 (19,184 Views)

Hi there,

I know for a fact that Atheros cards, in certain hardware configurations have some issues under Vista/Win7. Best example is SKY supplied routers (in UK). If you get the Sagem modem/router you may encounter trouble connectiong to the wireless network. I mentioned Vista and Win7, cos under Xp everything was working fine. After upgrade to Vista, and then Win7 I ru into troubles. I ruled out hardware failures cos first checked the card in HP and then Acer, both situation same problem, and few days later received new router form ISP - same brand, same problem. SOlution was to fiddle with Wireless settings, and in case of my dv6-3060sa with Atheros9285 I had to change the security from WPA2-PSK (default settings) to WPA-PSK. Then it works fine.

Of course you could use one of the freely available wireless cards from other suppliers like Intel, if not for the fact that HP is using BIOS whitelist and only allow specific cards to be installed. If you get a wrong one you will be presented with 104 error - unsupported network device :smileysad:

And to overcome this you need to do some BIOS modding - and you need to know exactly what you doing otherwise you may brick your laptop. Of course this will also void your warranty so approach with extreme caution.

Marek

Student
scrowley4
Message 7 of 11 (17,458 Views)

Does somebody read these?

I have a new HP pavilion dv7 that is using the Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter.  From the beginning, it's been dropping wireless after 1/2 to 3 hours.  It usually reconnects with the troubleshoot function, but obviously this is a design flaw on the part of HP.  Seeing this repeatedly posted here and with other help forums, why isn't HP providing a simple fix that does not require thousands of users to have to go through these hoops?

SC

Student
fbarr60
Message 8 of 11 (15,466 Views)

I purchase the HP CQ62 last year running Windows 7 - Installed with the PC at purchase was the Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter.  I do not have any wireless connectivity.  WIndows cannot diagnose the problem.  The laptop will not connect to wireless routers I have used in the past with other PCs (Netgear dual-band and D-Link).  I have not pursued this issue with HP yet, but is the wireless adaptor the problem (as opposed to a Windows issue)??

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 9 of 11 (15,456 Views)

Hi:

I recommend you download and install the latest Atheros wireless driver for your notebook from HP:

This reportedly fixes many of the connection issues with newer routers.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

Paul

Student
wajahatmaqbool
Message 10 of 11 (14,849 Views)

I have even reinstalled the driver .......... but it doesnt work

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation