Question

Honor Student
TheSaj
Message 1 of 6 (11,659 Views)
Accepted Solution

Atheros / Vista "local only"

[ Edited ]

Going crazy with this "local only" issue. Hundreds of threads about this problem. Very few solutions.  My mother's laptop will connect via ethernet cable but not through the wireless card. (Atheros).  I've spent nearly 6 hours dealing with this problem, ridiculous.  Seriously, WiFi is a basic facet..and if phones can get it right, it shouldn't be that hard for a computer to do so.

Wireless connection "local only"

Compaq Presario C700
PN [mod edited on 8-12-14]
Atheros AR5007 802.1 1 b/g
Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router model WNR1000v2

1) Updated driver to from 5/30/2007 version to:
7.7.0.396, release date 9/30/2009

2) Restored factory settings of router.

3) Attempted with WPA, WEP, and no security.

4) netsh int ip reset & reset logs

5) regedit per Microsoft on DHCPbitFlagToggle, after attempting the
related Microsoft hotfix.

6) Disabled firewall

7) Attempted to have Windows diagnose and fix.

8) Updated to Vista SP2

9) Test a second machine, it was able to connect to router fine.  Tried connecting to another router with Compaq, failed. Problem definitely seems to be with the Atheros driver/networking stack.

10) All IP addresses check out and are configured properly.

...that's just what I recall off the top of my head.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (11,651 Views)

Re: Atheros / Vista "local only"

[ Edited ]

Hi:

I think that driver is still to old to fix your problem.  Use this one and I am very confident your problem will be solved.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Paul

Student
donsie1
Message 3 of 6 (7,371 Views)

Hi,

Pauk Tikkanen you are a genius!

I inherited an oldish HP laptop from my son and, of course, had to make it work even though I didn't need it. The Vista message of 'local only' seems to be a huge problem - the web is full of questions and hundreds of 'answers'.  I have spent several days trying out some of the 'answers', many seemed to be a bit nutty.  I had often wondered about the Atheros driver but didn't have the knowledge or the nerve to update it - your link to the right driver was just the prod I needed.  I had to download it on a memory stick on another PC of course and initially it didn't work, in fact I couldn't see any networks at all - so I did a re-boot, which did the trick.  So, many thanks for your solution and giving me the confidence to try it.

donsie1

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 6 (7,362 Views)

You're very welcome, donsie1.

Glad the driver worked for you as it has for many others (including myself).

Student
meelieface
Message 5 of 6 (5,495 Views)

I registered to this site specifically to thank you for this answer. I had tried literally everything to fix a laptop that just wouldn't connect to the internet and this page solved it! Massive thank you!!!!
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 6 (5,488 Views)

You're very welcome.

Glad that driver solved the problem for you too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation