Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I recently had to restore my DV7-3079wm. Surprisingly, the original Atheros drivers worked fine with my Netgear WNDR3800 set at N300 speed. However over the process of Window's updates, the wireless stopped working at that speed and I had to reset the router back to 54Mbps to connect. Just for your information. I have no idea if the issue was a Windows update or a driver update that caused it.
HP Recommended

I'm another user with a HP Pavilion DV9000 and an Atheros AR5007 wireless card with connection issues.  Would we be better off replacing the wireless card?  Is there a card I could use that would allow me to use WPA/WPA2 security in my laptop?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi, kphart:

What is the exact model of your dv9K?

If you don't know, please enter the product number in the box at the link below and post the model number you get.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

The product number can be found on the same sticker as the serial number.

I have a dv6810us, which is part of the dv6700 series. It came with the same card as yours AR5007. The driver I posted fixes that but like you, I was looking for one that I wasn't going to have to be concerned with and one that could possibly run a the wireless N speed.

I found a great one for mine, but unless I know the model number for yours, I can't tell you which card you can change yours to.

With HP notebooks you can only install one of the cards listed in the service manual and it also must have the HP part number on it or it will not work.

All the identifying marks on my PC state dv6000, so dv9000 isn't enough info.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick response Paul.  My model number is DV9999US.  I've tried several of the updates found on this forum to no avail.  I didn't know that the card only worked with WEP security.  I found out because I tried updating the router security to WPA/WPA2 and got into a mess.  Tried reinstalling my router with WEP & that didn't work.  I've purchased a new router and was able to get my other laptop working but the card on this one seems kaput now.  I have it hardwired to my router at this point.  I appreciate any advice you can offer.

HP Recommended

I have the AR5007 Atheros Wireless card in my Compaq Presario CQ60-419WM.  Lately, I have noticed that upon resuming from sleep mode...wireless takes forever (3-4 mins) to allow me to use anything on the machine.  If I click on things while this 3-4 min connection is taking place...the applications become unresponsive...

Does this sound like a Wireless driver issue ?

I also have heard that this could be a Video driver issue as well.  I have downloaded and installed video driver software from both the manufacturer of the PC as well as the manufacturer of the video  card in my laptop...doesn't seem to fix the lag after resuming from sleep..

Any thoughts would surely help me.

Thanks.

J

HP Recommended

Hi, kphart:

OK, I have a suggested replacement, but I don't like what I am reading about you saying the card is kaput.

If the card has disappeared from the device manager, it means the motherboard in your PC has joined the who knows how many that had this issue.  The power is cut to the mini-PCIe slot the card is plugged into. There is nothing wrong with the card. The motheboard would have to be replaced, which would be throwing good money after bad.

If I misread something, and the card is showing up in the device manager, then this is the card I recommend you replace yours with if you live in the USA/Canada:

Broadcom 4321AGN 802.11a/b/g/n module.  For use in the United States and Canada HP Part # 434661-001.

You can get used but tested and working ones on eBay for cheap. Make sure you get one that lists that part # only!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=434661-001&_sop=15

Hi, J:

You can try the lastest driver I posted at the beginning of the thread and see if that helps. I don't know much about troubleshooting issues other than missing drivers, so I wouldn't know what else could be the issue.

You couyould try changing the broadcast channel on your router to 11 or 1 and see if that helps as well.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul.  Yes the card is still showing in the Device Manager.  The light by the wireless switch has been amber instead of blue/green.  That's all I meant by 'kaput'. 

Are there eBay sellers you've had better luck with than others?  I assume this card will let me use WPA/WPA2.  Yea!  I've looked at a few youtube videos and it doesn't look like it's difficult to replace.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would go with one of the sellers that has the highest volume. lowest price, and closest to 100% positive feedback. I think I got mine a couple years ago for less than $10.00 delivered.

I have that very same card in my dv6810us, and it works on WPA2-Personal AES, no problem.

That is the card I replaced that finnicky AR5007 card with and haven't had one iota of trouble.

Here is the link to the latest driver for it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-107849-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Did you check the wireless slide switch on the front of your PC to make sure you didn't inadvertently slide it to the off position?

I didn't even know the thing was there, and must have slid it to the off position when cleaning the exterior of my notebook. I think I spent almost an hour troubleshooting the issue!

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul.  I'll order a card and hopefully that will solve the problem.  I wish this problem was as simple as the wireless switch on the front! 

Will I need to make a BIOS change/update with this card?

I appreciate your help!

HP Recommended

hello  Dean. i would like to thank you for taking the time to create this post, even though it is dated. i do not know if my intermittent problem is solved, and the driver you point to is now dated so i got an updated one from here

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yjo4ig which has installed over the old driver. there seems to be some issues with some routers but others are ok. it is frustrating looking around in the minefield of information these days and i have just joined this site to thank you for at least pointing me in the right direction, i wish there were more like you

yours

windows 7 toshiba 64bit atheros AR9002WB-ING 9.2.0.480(this is the updated driver i installed)

my problem was this: visiting someone(duetshe telecom speedport), could connect, but after a period of time...disconnect and not re connect even though wep key and automatically connect was set. i had to search for problems when trying to re connect and the problem found was that the adapter needed re setting. then all was ok, but sometimes the same would re occur at a time of it's choosing ...infuriating. on other routers i had no problems

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.