Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi:

This post is for those that have the below listed Atheros adapters, and recently upgraded their routers (usually from a Wireless G to a Wireless N router from 2009 or newer), only to find they cannot connect to the internet anymore.

Atheros AR5006 802.11a/b/g WiFi Adapter
Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter

When using their old equipment, there were no problems.

Symptom:  When upgrading to a new router, normally connection is made to the local network, but one cannot access the internet.

Symptom:  Wireless connects if using WEP security or no security, but will not connect when using WPA2-Personal security.

For those who have the above Atheros wireless adapters, and are experiencing issues with connecting to the internet, there is a driver available that should remedy the situation. 

It is good for Windows operating systems -- Windows XP through Windows 7 -- 32 or 64 bit.

It may work on Windows 8 too, but I haven't tested it on Windows 8.

Here is the link to the driver:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54972.exe

Best Regards,

Paul

164 REPLIES 164
HP Recommended

Would this work with a Netgear Wireless-N Router WNR2000?  And how do I download the driver if I can't connect to the internet?

HP Recommended

Hi:

I would update the driver because you have nothing to lose. 

You can dowload the driver the same way you posted your question--via another computer.

Just plug in a USB flash drive to the computer you download the driver from. Copy it onto a flash drive, plug the flash drive into your notebook USB port, and launch the driver installation package.

Paul

HP Recommended

Will try this tomorrow

HP Recommended

I did as suggested putting the files into C:\SWSetup/SP52131.  I then clicked on the Setup file in this folder dated 3/1/2011.  When given the choice to modify or remove, I chose modify and the Wizard started.  To be brief, I still get no internet connection messages.

Any other ideas?

Joe Fox

HP Recommended

Hi, Joe:

Sorry that didn't work for you. I don't have any other ideas you can try.

Youmay want to try posting your question as a new post, rather than it being hidden here. You can already list what you have tried.

Paul

HP Recommended

I want to ask, if it can I apply in ProBook 4420s, because I have the same problem, namely my wifi works fine, but can not access the internet.

please solution

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes you can use the driver above to see if that works for your 4420s.

Paul

HP Recommended

paul u are a saint. they wanted to charge me 50  to a hundred bucks just to tell me what u did on here. it took me 3 minutes to download the driver and now i dont have to use ethernet anymore. thanx bro. take it easy

HP Recommended

I created an HP account just to thank you for this link. I've spent 2 days online and talking to call centers trying to get this driver. I was finally going to just return my router to Best Buy. Thank you SO much!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.