BSOD: athr.sys/DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (34877 Views)
Honor Student
rhubarbpie
Message 1 of 11 (34,877 Views)
Accepted Solution

BSOD: athr.sys/DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

[ Edited ]

Hey! I get a BSOD/stop message sometime, unregulary. Every time it has come, I've been using the wireless connection. I googled athr.sys, and I'm absolutely sure that it's the driver dor my wireless card, an Atheros AR5007. I found a couple of guys Lenovo's who had the same or almost same problem with athr.sys. So It seems like a problem with the driver.

I am using driver version 7.7.0.199, which is the latest from the HP driver download site. I have found newer drivers, but not on HP or Atheros website (which doesn't seem to have any drivers at all..), but on unofficial sites, www.atheros.cz and on opendrivers.com. But since those websites seem a little easy and aren't some official sites, I haven't tried any of those.. Besides, I tried to download a driver from opendrivers i think, but there was no installation files, just the .sys-files.

So, in total I have experienced 9 crashes so far, some using Firefox, some playing online games and using Spotify. If you want me to post the minidump (.dmp) files I can do it.. But for now. I'll only post a picture of the BSOD..

I am using Windows Vista SP2 (updated 2 days ago, have had at least one of teh crashes after), on a HP Pavilion dv5 1103-el, which was remarketed from Italia, and then sold here in Sweden.

The picture of the BSOD is here:http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5238/dsc04289u.jpg

Message Edited by rhubarbpie on 08-23-2009 04:06 AM
/rhubarbpie
Honor Student
mjgmar
Message 2 of 11 (34,821 Views)

Re: BSOD: athr.sys/DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Having the same problem.

I am using driver version 7.2.0.132 .

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 3 of 11 (34,830 Views)

Hi,

Uninstall Your current driver and restart Your system.

Download and install driver version 8.0.0.171 here.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
rhubarbpie
Message 4 of 11 (34,787 Views)

Thank you! It's now installed and working, though I don't yet know if it removes the problem since it's so new. I'll report if there comes a new error like it..

Btw, I haven't had the problem in like a week now, though I still updated. :smileyhappy:

//rhubarbpie

/rhubarbpie
Honor Student
rhubarbpie
Message 5 of 11 (34,662 Views)

Hey! This driver seems to make my wireless lamp stay orange, no matter if im connected or not..

Anyone got a solution to that?

Note, it's not a very big problem, as I can still use the button, but still a bit irritating..

/rhubarbpie
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 6 of 11 (34,627 Views)

There ar posted many drivers for this card. Check them all.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
rhubarbpie
Message 7 of 11 (34,585 Views)

Thanks! I phoned HP Support yesterday, and did a BIOS upgrade, so I will see if that works first.. :smileyhappy:
/rhubarbpie
Student
Vicatoru
Message 8 of 11 (33,963 Views)

Had the same problem on an HP G60-t200 notebook after a clean 32-bit Windows 7 install. I replaced the original driver with the one listed under Windows Vista on HP page for this notebook. Shows as Atheros version 7.7.0.199. So far this seems to have solved the problem.

At first I tried the drivers listed under Windows 7 on the same HP page with no success. There are two links called Broadcomm that after installing showed on driver properties as Atheros version 2.2.x. These seemed to be of the same sort that was causing the problem.

On some Windows forum I picked this tool to read through the dump files to understand what was causing the crashes--pretty handy to find the culprit in athr.sys.   

Honor Student
abhiteja999
Message 9 of 11 (11,542 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problem.

My notebook is Compaq Presario CQ61(Windows 7 OS).

Same error with blue screen of death.

My wireless driver is Broadcom.

What shall I have to do?

Please help, Thanks.

Student
Gaabje
Message 10 of 11 (6,065 Views)

My modem setting had a fixed control channel. I changed it to auto. Problem solved. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation