Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am having an issue where Bluetooth seems to be disabled when I dock my EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook with a 2013 UltraSlim Docking Station. It might be only when I wake it from sleep, but a restart doesn't bring it back.

The icon is not in the system tray, there nothing related to Bluetooth shows up in device manager, and there is no reference to Bluetooth in control panel, including under Change adapter settings. However, all the services are set to Automatic and running (Bluetooth Device Monitor,  Bluetooth Media Service, Bluetooth OBEX Service and Bluetooth Support Service).

I have previoulsy connected my Bluetooth headphones to the laptop and listened to music, both when the laptop is docked and when it is not, so it defitely works. I have updated to all the latest drivers on my laptop, including the BIOS, and updated the firmware on the docking station.

If I open Devices and Printers, right-click the laptop and choose Bluetooth Settings, the 'Show Bluetooth icon in the notification area' box is checked. Under the Hardware tab, there is nothing listed (this usually lists something like 'Intel Bluetooth' and 'Microsoft Emulator').

This is only an intermittent problem. Sometimes the Bluetooth is there, and sometimes it is not. If I undock the laptop  and restart, sometimes it comes back and sometimes it doesn't. It is incredibly infuriating and I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Galexioza

Can you update the WLAN and Bluetooth driver

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth

Please Read the CUSTOMER ADVISORY

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help, but that seemed to make things worse. After installing the updates you suggested, the BLuetooth radio was back to 'Generic Wireless Bluetooth' and I was unable to activate 'Listen to Music' on my headhpones once paired.  I eventually had to uninstall these drivers and reinstall the ones recommended by the Intel Driver Update Utility (version 17.1.1506) in order to fully activate my headphones.

I think it had something to do with wireless not being switched back on after sleep. I have installed HP Wireless Assistant, which at least lets me switch the Bluetooth adapter on. This is not an ideal situation, but maybe a future driver or firmware update will fix the problem permanently.

HP Recommended

It happened again. This time after shutting down the laptop, docking it and turning it on. There is no Bluetooth icon in the notification area and nothing showing in the device manager.

When I open HP Wireless Assistant, under Bluetooth Adapter it says, "This device is disabled in device manager and cannot be enabled from Wireless Assistant. It can still be turned off". There doesn't seem to be anyway of enabing it other than uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

HP Recommended

Hello

I have the same problem with my Elitebook 820 G2. Evertime when I undock my laptop and put it back on the dock, bluetooth is disabled in the Device Manager. The symbol in the info area is gone and no connection with any bluetooth device is possible,  of course.

See: Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Device & Printers > Device Manger > Bluetooth > Device is disabled!

I can enable it, then it will work again, but I have to do this every time I place the laptop on the dock - that's annoying.

I tried to disable energy management for the device, but it has not solved the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi HP,

I have got the same problem. It seems that Bluetooth module was turned off incidentally. You have to install HP Connection Management software to turn it on. There is no different way found yet.

HP Recommended

Sadly, I never found a proper solution to this problem. I gave up and bought a separate Bluetooth dongle and disabled the internal Bluetooth from the BIOS menu.

The dongle sticks out a bit, which is annoying, but I'm used to it now and I haven't had any issues with it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.