Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Nice to know someone else has been having this issue.

I've had my laptop back for repair twice for it - still a problem.

I find now that if I reboot my machine with working bluetooth it definitely won't come back up with working bluetooth.  I get the USB "device descriptor" problem (since the Bluetooth adapter is technically connected via USB).  I can use a USB mouse for the rest of the day and then hibernate my laptop, go home, come back to work the next morning, boot the machine (from hibernation), disable the bad USB device, enable it and boom - bluetooth is good again.

No amount of disable/enable fixes it without seemingly allowing the laptop to stay off for a good period of time.  That doesn't quite gel with the bluetooth failing due to a restart or shutdown (not sleep/hibernate) but the behaviour is now very consistent.

I can have it work great for a week and then fail for a couple of days.  Very frustrating.  I'd love to hear more from HP about what we can do with drivers, etc about this.  Specifically I have Intel (R) Wireless Bluetooth (R) 4.0 + HS Adapter in a HP Envy 17" laptop, USB VID 8087 PID 07DC.  The driver is from Intel Corporation, dated 26/06/2013 using version 3.1.1307.360.

I've factory reset the laptop (painful as it's a dev machine).  I haven't stuck with the HP supplied Windows simply because I have Windows Enterprise licensing and wish to use that instead of the Pro version of Windows that came with the laptop.  I'm still on Windows 8.1 but will be moving to 10 in the next month or so.

HP Recommended

Hi @IanYates82,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

I grasp that you are currently operating Windows 8.1 and are looking to update to Windows 10 n the near future .  You did install Windows 8.1 Enterprise  which HP does not supply drivers for.    You are experiencing an issue with the Bluetooth not activating after sleep mode or hibernation. You have the latest Itel driver installed.,

You stated you did a factory reset. Are you running Windows 8.1 pro or enterprise currentlly?

Are you connecting an external Bluetooth adapter?

Are you using a Bluetooth mouse or an USB mouse?

Have you tried using the Windows drivers as using the generic drivers has resolved this issue for some people.

What is your exact model of Envy 17 do you have?  

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up button below 

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi @Sparkles1,

Thanks for the reply.

It's a HP Envy TS 17 Notebook PC, product number F7Q20PA#ABG.

The Bluetooth adapter is built-in (like many built-in devices it still uses USB internally to connect) - I wouldn't be blaming HP if it was an external third-party one. 

I'm using a bluetooth mouse (falling back to a USB one when the bluetooth adapter dies).  I've got a genuine HP bluetooth mouse and a couple of Microsoft bluetooth mice - I've used several to rule out the mouse being the cause (and each mouse works quite well with other laptops).

How do you suggest I use the "windows drivers"?  I've got nothing to roll back to (the button is greyed out) and using "Update driver" button from within device manager, despite allowing it to access the internet and use Windows update, reports I have the best driver for my device.  If I tell Windows to let me choose from a list of compatible drivers I can pick between what I've got (Intel (R) Wireless Bluetooth (R) 4.0 + HS Adapter" or a driver for "Generic Bluetooth Adapter".  Are you referring to that generic one?

Ian

HP Recommended

HI @IanYates82,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes that is the other driver I referred to as that may help.

Have you ran the  HP Support Assistant   to acquire any HP updates.  When I checked the ENVY TouchSmart 17-j113tx Notebook Software and Driver Downloads I did notice under the details that the Bluetooth  driver listed there seems to address your very issue of the disconnect after a restart.

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Here is a link to HP PCs - Using Bluetooth Devices (Windows 10, 😎 that may also help.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks @Sparkles1.  I've used that tool and have the latest Bluetooth drivers avaialble.

As it turns out, the Windows installation on the laptop won't boot anymore since applying some Windows updates on Tuesday afternoon - frowny face blue screen with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.  The data's all there and the partitions all seem fine so I'm taking it as a chance to get things in order as I reinstall Windows.

The other problem on the laptop has been the Ethernet adapter's inability to connect at gigabit speeds to any switch I try using one of many cables.

So...  I've put the original 1TB 5400rpm HDD back into the laptop and it's back at the original HP-supplied Windows.  The Ethernet adapter is still faulty there so it's off for repair.  I'll get them to look at this thread regarding Bluetooth at the same time.  Unfortunately it's an intermittent issue but one that's very much real and incredibly frustrating.  IMHO it comes down to some sort of overheating in the physical adapter since a hibernated PC, with enough "off" time, is able to get the adapter running again with a disable/enable in the device manager.  If the laptop isn't off for long enough (with a hibernated, not shut down windows), a disable/enable won't fix it.  The fact Windows can't even enumerate the USB device shows it's really dead.

Of course, the problem could be in the internal USB hub itself?  I don't know how I'd check that but will get the HP tech to inspect it too.

The drivers page for the laptop that the HP phone support person provided - http://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-TouchSmart-17-j100-Notebook-PC-series/542574... - lists many different drivers for various Bluetooth adapters.  I assume that means some versions of this laptop have non-Intel adapters.  I'd love to switch to one of them if it solved my problem 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.