Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I purchased an Envy 15-J108la notebook about a month ago (Windows 8.1 64). I also bought a Microsoft bluetooth mouse to use with it.

First I noticed mouse stoped working randomly, maybe 2 times a day. Sometimes it was enough to turn it off and on again to recover it, but sometimes I had to reboot.

I updated the bluetooth driver (Intel Bluetooth 4.0 Driver, 2014-01-18, Version 3.1), problem persisted but seemed to occur less frequently.

Today after installing an update for the wireless adapter the device manager reported that the Intel Bluetooth 4.0 device was faulting. Tried to dissable and re-enable but the device simply dissapeared. Now device manager reports a "Unknown USB device" with error 43, and bluetoth devices are not detected, no matter how many times I reboot.

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Ricardo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Using the generic drivers that come with windows 8.1, instead of the Intel drivers, definitely solved the problem.

No more intermittent operation, no more unknown device...

I was fool enough to install the last updated Intel driver to see if it addressed the problem, but it was as bad as before. I had to roll back to generic drivers again, and voila: everything is working like a charm again.

I hope this helps others.

And to Intel: come on, you should do better!

Ricardo

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi rserpell,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I grasp that you are having a difficult with your Bluetooth mouse.  You have tried updating the driver which seemed to help but did not alleviate the issue.

Here is a link to Fixing Bluetooth Problems.

If you are still having a difficulty try these steps.

Step 1. Go to device manager
Step 2. Right click on "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" that you want
Step 3. Select "Update Driver Software..."
Step 4. Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
Step 5. Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
Step 6. Select "Ports (COM & LPT)"
Step 7. Select "Microsoft" at "Manufacturer" list
Step 8. Finally select "Standard Serial over Bluetooth link"

As well you can try this

Step 1: Go to RUN (Windows Logo + R) and type “services.msc” and Enter
Step 2: Now find “Bluetooth Support Service” and double click on it
Step 3: Now click on Log On Tab and Type in "Local Service" without quotes
Step 4. Click on “This Account”
Step 5: Now remove any passwords leave the password field blank
Step 6: Underneath the upper left title should be a hyperlink "Start" Click it

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles,

Thank you for your help. I think I didn't explain myself well: it was the whole "Bluetooth" sectio/branch what disappeared in the device manager, so there was no way to access any peripheral device. Thus, any help from the FAQ was useless. There was simply no bluetooth radio detected, but only an "unknown USB device".

Fortunately, I was able to recover the bluetooth functionality after uninstalling the bluetooth drivers (using: "Programs and features"), and re-installing them (downloaded from HP: Intel Bluetoth 4.0 driver: sp65157.exe).

I think the Intel wireless-N 7260 update somehow affected the bluetooth functionality, but there was something weird going on with it before the update). And this also seems to be a rather common problem. Please HP: check it.

Kind regards,

Ricardo. 

HP Recommended

It happened again:

The Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth (R) 4.0 + H.S. adapter appears with an exclamation mark in the device manager. In the general tab in the properties of the devices it says that windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43). In addition, no other Bluetooth components are visible in the Bluetooth section.

These are the steps that led to the problem:

-Turned Bluetooth mouse off

-Closed the notebook (so it goes to suspend)

-Opened the notebook 10 hours later (next day)

-Turned the mouse on: it is not working.

-Opened device manager to find the problem described.

What is going on?

Wat should I do, reinstall Bluetooth drivers every day?

I work using this computer, so this is costing me a lot... please provide some help HP.

Ricardo.

HP Recommended

I grasp that you uinstalled and reinstalled the Bluetooth driver and it worked fine until the notebook went into suspend mode. Then  the Bluetooth device is listed with an exclamation mark and has code 43.

If you look under the properties of the Bluetooth device, click on power management.  If it is set to allow this computer to turn off this device to save power  please unchecked it.

You stated this started to happen after an update went through for the wireless card,  Have you tried updating the chipset drivers?

You can run the  HP Support Assistant to aid with HP updates and help resolve issues.

Have you tried Using Automated Troubleshooting (Windows 😎 to help with this difficulty.  

If none of the above has helped, I would reinstall the original drivers.

Software Recovery Options (Windows 😎

Have you checked for viruses or malware?

Have you tried doing a restore back to when before these issues began? Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎

You may wish to try a full recovery and then use the HP support Assistant to do the updates.

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎

During the recovery process you will receive a prompt to backup your personal files. If you have not done one recently, I suggest you do one now to prevent data loss.

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 😎

If you are still having a difficulty, you can contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to try to locate and resolve issues.

Please call HP technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region HP Technical Support Sitemap.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Dear Sparkles,

Thank you for your help. These are my answers to your suggestions:

- I had unchecked the "allow this computer to turn off this device..." days ago (as suggested by other users). It didn't help in my case. I kept it unchecked though, just in case.

- Much of this was happening before the update. The update just made it happen again, in a precise moment (I thought it might have happened to other users as well, that's why I brought it up).

- I have updated the chipset as suggested in the HP Support Assistant, a month ago I think.

- No luck with the Automated Troubleshooting... I think this problem is too specific for those general tools.

- I uninstalled the drivers and I'm using the generic Windows 8 bluetooth drivers (as suggested by users in other forums). Bluetooth is working again, only one random pause so far. I'll post here if it is still working in a week from now. The problem might be bad drivers from Intel...

- Yes, no viruses or malware (it is a new computer, legal software only). I use Avira, and I keep it updated.

- No, I haven't done a restore. Bluetooth has been giving me this problems since I started using it (for the mouse), so where to restore to? It is pretty much factory default still...

- Same answer as above. It is a new ( ~2 month old) computer. Only updates done where done using the HP Support Assistant..., except for the Intel Bluetooth 4.0 + H.S. adapter driver, which was downloaded from the HP site, and solved the problem for a day (now uninstalled).

I really appreciate your help, really. But, IMHO, this requires someone trying to replicate the problem to understand what happens (HP Envy 15 j108... with Intel wireless bluetooth and bluetooth microsoft scult touch mouse, in use for several hours at a time). Even if some HP technician remotely takes control of the notebook nothing guaranties that the problem is going to happen in that precise moment.

As I said, I will see if not using the Intel driver helps.

Regards,

Ricardo

HP Recommended

Using the generic drivers that come with windows 8.1, instead of the Intel drivers, definitely solved the problem.

No more intermittent operation, no more unknown device...

I was fool enough to install the last updated Intel driver to see if it addressed the problem, but it was as bad as before. I had to roll back to generic drivers again, and voila: everything is working like a charm again.

I hope this helps others.

And to Intel: come on, you should do better!

Ricardo

HP Recommended

rserpell- THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! 

I purchased my  laptop January 2014 and have had nothing but problems with the Bluetooth since. I have spent countless hours on the phone with HP support trying to fix the problem. The first lady that I spoke with from support actually told me that my laptop didn't come with bluetooth! This was even after I explained to her how it was working and then stopped responding to my bluetooth keyboard & mouse! 

I have completely wiped my hard drive (several times) and reinstalled everything and it still had the same problem. I have even had it sent to HP to diagnose (among other issues). The first time I sent it back, they didn't even address the issue even though it was clearly written on the return form that there was a problem. The second time I sent it back, they returned it to me saying that there was nothing wrong with it. Recently I had went to Intel's website and installed their drivers and it worked fine until 2 days ago. I have not been able to get it to work since, that is until now. Again, thank you so much.

I too am very disappointed in HP and Intel. If you search the internet you will find that this is a common problem with HP's bluetooth adapters, for a $2,000 laptop, you would think that HP would address the issue with their drivers! This is not good business- and will be my last time purchasing a HP product.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Latest Intel driver 4.0 + HS intermittently drops out requiring a blue tooth or full RESTART.  This is simply UNACCEPTABLE behavior from major OEMs like HP, and Intel. 

Please accept responsibility for your failures HP and get your supplier Intel to FIX the problem!   I would also suggest to provide some way to disable auto-updates of problem drives like this Bluetooth 4.0 + HS.  So your customers do not have to keep reinstalling generic drivers to fix your problems. 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @GRich007,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.