Question

Tutor
Nuno
Message 1 of 62 (18,170 Views)
Accepted Solution

Broadcom Wireless stopped working after Windows Updates

Hello, everybody!

I have a Pavilion dv6000 with wireless network. Everything was OK, but last monday the wireless blue light was suddenly always amber and I had no wireless access. These are the facts concerning my problem:

* I've reseted my laptop to the factory configuration - wireless works fine

* Windows Update installed all, but one, updates - wireless works fine

* I've installed the new Windows Live Messenger - WIRELESS STOPED WORKING

* I've uninstalled the Windows Live Messenger - wireless works fine

* Windows Update installed .NET Framework 3.5 (this was the Windows Update I've skipped on step 2) - WIRELESS STOPED WORKING

And my problem now is that even if I try to "roll back" to a "restauration point" before the .NET installation, I get an error and I don't seem to be able to "uninstall" .NET 3.5. On the other hand, the "Broadcom Wireless 802.11g" driver has disappeared from the Device Manager and I don't seem to be able to reinstall it, nor does the reinstallation of the "HP Wireless Manager" fixes the problem.

Can you help me, please?

Thanks in advance,

Nuno

Student
Brooksy
Message 2 of 62 (18,181 Views)

Re: Broadcom Wireless stopped working after Windows Updates

Same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago.  I'm having a heck of a time getting it fixed.  Someone from my internet service said to hook it up to the box and get online and get a new wireless driver but I haven't figured out how to hook it up to the box yet.  A technician did it for us the first time and computer hardware baffles me.

I'd sure like to know if you find an answer and I'll work on it from my end.  I guess if worse comes to worst I could take the durn thing back to Costco and complain.

Tutor
Nuno
Message 3 of 62 (18,139 Views)

Well, I'm still "wirelessless" but I've gather another fact: I used to have a "Broadcom Wireless driver" on m Device Manager List, but now it's gone and even though I've downloaded it and tried to reinstall it, I cannot make it apear on my list.

Does anyone has an answer for this one, please? I sure didn't want to reset (again) my laptop and start all over... Internet in Angola is not that fast and last time I went through the reseting process, I've stayed awake all night to monitor the download of all Windows Updates. :smileysad:

Honor Student
Summitj
Message 4 of 62 (18,101 Views)

Not sure I'll be much help, just noting similar issues with a TX1000 and my experience so far.  Started this morning - had it on overnight and it installed an update ~3am.  (I think it was Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB960544)).  When I turned off and back on, no wireless, doesn't even recognize a WLAN device, only the bluetooth radio. Did a system restore, and still didn't work.  Plugged into the hard line, ran windows update again - presumably just ran same update - don't see any others dated in last two days.  Rebooted - noticed that the HP Assistant notification said both WLAN and Bluetooth were active this time.  Unplugged the network cable and it re-acquired my router and worked fine most of day.  Then at lunch, went into hibernate or standby and when pulling it back up, again, no WLAN device was recognized (didn't check if driver missing) and no connection.  Plugged back in, rebooted, worked again, pulled plug - it re-acquired again and still works, but am not confident in reliability at this point, so hoping for some answers from HP or MSFT.

Have not installed any BIOS updates.

Have not installed the 55mb .net 3.5 update (and may not based on the below and on other posts - see similar if it's any help: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Internet&message.id=1170#M1170

Intern
Joe2Shoe
Message 5 of 62 (18,099 Views)

I have the notorious HP Pavilion dv9000z running Vista HP with the worthless Broadcom WiFi PCI-e card.  Occassionally it does not work. 

I purchased a Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 Wireless N USB adapter from newegg for $13.99 + S/H and installed the software.  It works fine.  I use it when the Broadcom acts up.  I just turn off the internal WiFi card, plug in the USB WiFi adapter, and fire up the Rosewill Utility and I'm online. 

I cannot find a replacement WiFi card for the dv9000z as it uses the AMD CPU and it's difficult to find a WiFi PCI-e card that will work with the AMD CPU.  I noticed that an Intel PCI-e card won't work with the AMD CPU.  That's why I bought the USB WiFi adapter.

It seems that my Comcast service drops out quite a bit.  If it's buggy, I get no connection on the Broadcom WiFi card.  But, my other laptop running Linux with an Intel Pro 2200BG WiFi PCI card works without any problems, period, even if the dv9000z with the Broadcom card won't!

The laptop running Linux had the same problems, as it also had the Broadcom WiFi PCI card, that I replaced with the Intel Pro 2200BG WiFi card.  Now it never drops the signal.  I also purchased an Azio AWU254 WiFi b/g USB adapter for the Linux laptop, and it works flawlessly, also.

In my opinion and from my experience, the Broadcom WiFi cards are terrible. Is it Vista, or is it Broadcom?

Intern
Ronniebofa
Message 6 of 62 (18,063 Views)

I have had exactly the same problem - see

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Internet&message.id=1170#M1170

HP Total Care have been no help what so ever and say that it is a hardware problem and needs an expensive out of warranty service and replacement of components.  I am not convinced they know what they are talking about.  Is it a coincidence that others have the same problem when loading the latest Windows Updates?  Perhaps we are the first and there will be many more with the problem once they have loaded the updates.  Perhaps then HP will get off their backsides and do something.  An apology from them for the atrocious service and treatment I have had would also be appreciated - some hope! 

Student
mgutzie
Message 7 of 62 (18,042 Views)

Same thing happened to me. My WLAN cannot be detected. Can anyone from HP help me? My laptop is F576AU. I really need to have it working as I have just installed a wireless router at home. Hope we get a decent reply from HP.
Intern
Ronniebofa
Message 8 of 62 (18,029 Views)

Sorry to say it is unlikely that HP will give a decent reply. see:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Internet&thread.id=1018

They do not accept that it is a software problem and prefer to think of it as a hardware problem requiring expensive service and replacement of components.  Lets hope all who have the same problem report it in this thread.  Once there are substantial numbers they might investigate and come up with a solution - at the moment that looks like a distant hope!

Tutor
Nuno
Message 9 of 62 (18,027 Views)

My problem is NOT a hardware problem.

I can reproduce it (I've done it twice):

* I restore the factory configuration of my laptop, using HP utility (loose all my data, and my Vista goes to its original configuration)

* My Broadcom Wireless works

* I let Windows Update install all updates, EXCEPT .NET Framework 3.5

* I install Windows Live Messenger, the new version for Vista

* My Broadcom Wireless driver disapear and I become "wirelessless"

Unfortunately, since I'm living in Africa, Internet speed is not impressive and reinstalling all Windows Updates takes me 24hours, so I'm not willing going through the same process any mor.

Intern
Ronniebofa
Message 10 of 62 (18,026 Views)

Nuno,

Just out of curiosity have you contacted HP about the problem?  If so what is their responce to you?

I know they did not listwen to me of give me a straight answer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation