Can not enable wireless card on 6930p (6322 Views)
Student
Shaggy_HP
Message 1 of 5 (6,322 Views)

Can not enable wireless card on 6930p

I have a EliteBook 6930p. The Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN has never worked on this.  I am running XP Profesional and have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest drivers. But nothing.  I have tried on several wireless networks, but it will not even detect any to connect to.  I have downloaded Intel's ProSet WiFi connector utility.  It tells me that the hardware radio switch is off. I have tried the 'switch' in the blue and the orange position (it is part of the touch sensitive bar at the top of the keyboard), with no luck. 

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.  Thanks.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 5 (6,294 Views)

Re: Can not enable wireless card on 6930p

Try entering your BIOS by tapping F10 while HP logo is displayed and choose default setting save the setting.

Uninstall the current wireless driver, install driver from your HP DVD driver.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Student
ASPENTECHGROUP
Message 3 of 5 (3,539 Views)

[ Edited ]

Some of the 6930p units have the wireless 5300AGN hard-wired into the motherboard, while others have an Intel 5300AGN PCI-E card installed in the wifi compartment on the bottom of the laptop. If there's no PCI-E card installed in the compartment and you still have problems activating your wifi system, contact HP Support for assistance.

If you need the wifi PCI-E card, I have them available for $30, including shipping.

{Personal Information Removed}

Good luck!

Honor Student
jimmyfg
Message 4 of 5 (1,386 Views)

I just had the identical problem with a 6930p I just acquired.  In the Device Manager the AGN5300 showed as being installed correctly, but the presence was not sensed by the computer. Even though the card was there, the computer could not see it. (P6930p, 4GB, Windows 7 (32)).  I tried everything I could find and nothing worked. In desperation, I completely removed all of the Intel Pro software and the driver for the card. I shut down and powered back up letting it reinstall the driver. It began working immediately. On mine, the Intel Pro software just being installed caused the problem. I had even removed it several times and reinstalled it from the Intel site. Just dumping it fixed the problem. 

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 5 of 5 (1,383 Views)

Thanks for posting your fix jimmyfg.  Members like yourself make the community a success!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation