Question

Honor Student
Carlosandiego
Message 1 of 13 (6,062 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't access wireless connections on HP Pavilion dv5

Product Name HP Pavilion DV5 laptop

OS Windows 7 Home Premium. 

Error message: wireless "no connections are available" message.

No changes have been made to the system

I can't access wireless connections, even though other devices are accessing the connections.  Wireless adapters are working, but I can't get them to "see" any wireless connections./

This has just ocurred recently-never an issue in the past.

Any recommendations?

Intern
Angela777NM
Message 2 of 13 (6,057 Views)

Re: Can't access wireless connections on HP Pavilion dv5

I would recommend updating your system BIOS. Go to http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html then type your product name in the search box.  Choose the Dv5 Entertainment Notebook that you have and select it.  On the next page select your operating system Windows 7 Home 32 or 64 bit. Once on the correct driver page for your notebook select BIOS from the driver list. Please update your system BIOS and reboot. This should bring your WIFI connection back. Please let me know if that resolves this issue.

Honor Student
Carlosandiego
Message 3 of 13 (6,026 Views)

How do I do that if I don't have internet access?

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 4 of 13 (6,017 Views)

Hey Carlosandiego, 

I'm sorry you're having an issue with your wireless connection. On a lot of notebooks, there is a "wireless button" that enables and disables the wireless capability. On a lot of models it is the F12 key. It will have a light on it and pressing it should toggle wireless on and off and the light should switch colors.

If you could provide me with your product number/full model name, I could provide you with a better description of where that wireless button is in case it isn't on the F12 key on this particular model. Press FN + ESC to find your product number/model name.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply :smileyhappy:

Intern
Angela777NM
Message 5 of 13 (6,003 Views)

What you can do is boot into the BIOS by pressing F10 at start up.  Once in BIOS got to restore BIOS defaults. Then say yes load defaults. Then save changes and exit. You should see your WIFI illuminated on start up now. If so proceed to HP.com to update the BIOS.  Please reply with results.

Thank you

Honor Student
Carlosandiego
Message 6 of 13 (5,996 Views)

Worked perfectly

Thanks!
Honor Student
Carlosandiego
Message 7 of 13 (5,996 Views)

I saw your reply after I reloaded a new BIOS. Your solution would have been easier, but both solutions work right on

Thanks to all!!
Intern
Angela777NM
Message 8 of 13 (5,988 Views)

Glad to hear!!!!! Thank you for the reply!

Honor Student
jimjam94
Message 9 of 13 (5,980 Views)

Re: Can't access wireless connections on HP Pavilion g6

Hi all, 

ive had this laptop for about 3 months now and have always used wired internet connection as my wireless on here doesnt work!

its windows 8 too.

how can i make it work? 

thanks

Intern
Angela777NM
Message 10 of 13 (5,978 Views)

Re: Can't access wireless connections on HP Pavilion g6

What you can do is boot into the BIOS by pressing F10 at start up. Once in BIOS got to restore BIOS defaults. Then say yes load defaults. Then save changes and exit. You should see your WIFI illuminated on start up now. If so proceed to HP.com to update the BIOS. Please reply with results.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation