Question

Honor Student
mkjohnson1977
Message 1 of 7 (28,894 Views)

Can't connect printer to my wireless network

Going through network setup for my HP C4580, I get this message after the printer attempts to connect to the wireless network...

The PC and the printer are connected to different networks(192.168.1.0 and 169.254.0.0). They must be connected to the same network. This can happen when you use the manufacturer's default network name (SSID) and another nearby network is using the same name.

Your wireless router requires a WEP security key. The security key configured on your printer does not match exactly. Reconfigure your wireless network WEP security key for your printer.

Thw PC is connected to the 192 via USB to the 192 network.  I think the printer thinks it is connected to a 169 network.  I have entered the WEP security several times so I know it is correct.  What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance. 

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 7 (28,878 Views)

Re: Can't connect printer to my wireless network

Here in themanual for your printer, you can manage the printer's network settings. Make sure the you set the SSID and Subnet for the printer to be the same as the SSID and Subnet of your wireless network. Look on page 276 of the manual for instruction on how to do that.

regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Professor
Picardje
Message 3 of 7 (28,843 Views)

the 169 ip adres is an apipa adres. The unit gives itself this ip adres when no connection is made with a router. Best thing to do is when you have a wireless computer. First Go in to the c4580 netswork menu en restore defaults. Then with your wireless computer search wireless networks, normally you should find HPSETUP. Connect with this network. (You will lose your internet connection at this point but later connecting to the internet network will correct this). 
If you are connected to the HPSetup network, wait a few minutes and then again go to the network menu on the All-in-One and print a network configuration page. Open your browser and type in the ip adres that is on the page. If all is ok you should find yourself on an internal page of the All-in-One. Go to the network tab and set the ip adres to manuel. Type in the ip adres of your network and make sure that the last diget is unique. for example 192.168.1.228
set the subnetmask (standard 255.255.255.0) and set the standard gateway, (ip adres router) DNS does not need to be filled in, make sure you fill in your security settings. Save the settings. You will now lose connecting with the All-in-One. Restore your internet connection and then reinstall the All-in-One on the computer. Because its allready in the network it should be found now.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Honor Student
mkjohnson1977
Message 4 of 7 (28,804 Views)

Picardje,

Thanks very much for the info.  That is exactly the content and detail I needed.  I knew there had to be a web interface within the printer that allowed access to the printer's network configuration, but I couldn't find the method of reaching it. 

Thanks again.  Very helpful information.

Michael

Student
Panamera4
Message 5 of 7 (26,920 Views)

Hi - I purchased a D Link 615 n router to replace my linksys g router.  I cannot get my HP 6480 all in one to connect with the 615 router.  I've tried to enter the mac address in the router config and I've tried powered down and up the printer.  The driver is installed on my dell inspiron.  Any suggestions?

Top Student
TurnerFam4
Message 6 of 7 (19,290 Views)

Printer Connected to my wireless network, cannot connect to Web Services

I can connect my printer to my wireless network, I can print without a usb cable connecting the printer to my computer but when I try to connect to the Web Services on the printer, I get "Server Connection Error" so can't connect to Web Services or make use of ePrint.

I had this problem with my first printer.  After exhausting all avenues, HP have replaced that printer with another one and I still get the same error.

I have had HP Support take over my computer to check all my firewall settings, router settings and printer settings and still no joy.

I have set my IP Address to manual with all the settings from my configuration page.

Now, in desperation I have installed a spare router that I have (BT Home Hub Router 2.0)  instead of my usual Netgear DG834G Router.  Still no joy

They want to give me yet another printer - surely I can't have had 2 dud printers?

Can anyone help?

Student
sandra_williams
Message 7 of 7 (2,960 Views)

cant connect my printer to my wifi
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation