Question

Honor Student
lisa_pfaff22
Message 1 of 6 (2,072 Views)

Can't connect to WPA2 - Personal

My hp pavilion dv6736nr notebook is having issues connecting to wpa2 - personal wireless connections. It will connect to other connections types, such as WEP without any problem. When I try to connect to a wpa2 - personal it will only give me local access, and not a successful internet connection. 

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (2,068 Views)

Re: Can't connect to WPA2 - Personal

Check to see which type of encryption you have the WPA2 -personal set to.  There are two encryption methods that WPA2 uses : one is called Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and the other is called Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP). 

TKIP does offer better compatibility than AES. That may be the issue you are facing.

Don't use WEP if you want to keep your bandwidth limited to your household . WEP is way too simple to crack. 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
peleus123
Message 3 of 6 (2,055 Views)

Hi. When you say it connects to "WEP", is this on the same router? If yes, try to see if there's a latest driver for your wireless adapter. 

Honor Student
lisa_pfaff22
Message 4 of 6 (2,043 Views)

No it is not  the same router

Honor Student
lisa_pfaff22
Message 5 of 6 (2,042 Views)

This is not a home router, it's a router at an aparment complex I am living in

Student
coolcain
Message 6 of 6 (1,146 Views)

If my router is WPA2 but the 7410xi is only giving me the option of WPA, how can I get connected?  Printer still shows offline.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation