Question

Honor Student
redheadkelly
Message 1 of 15 (15,855 Views)

Can't turn on Wireless

I have a Pavilion dv7 1424nr. It has a row of lights accross the top of the keyboard that are actually buttons. These buttons operate the mute, sound volume, DVD player & the wireless internet. This whole row of buttons has stopped working. My wireless button is orange & I can't seem to change it. I have tried the Wireless Assitant. I have tried the Windows Mobility Center. There is no place to turn on my Wireless other than by pushing the button, but none of the buttons work.

I have had this problem a few times in the past & have been able to reboot to solve the problem. Now it seems to be stuck. Nothing seems to fix it.

As far as I know, all of my software & drivers are up to date. I have only had this computer for a few months.

I found on the forum where others have had this problem. The only solution I found was to turn the computer in for another one. Surely, there is a better answer. I have already installed lots of software. Any suggestions???

Thanks!

Honor Student
Storm0075
Message 2 of 15 (15,785 Views)

Re: Can't turn on Wireless

I won't swear to this because I have not tried it. I have heard in several places that if you go into the bios and check the settings that it might help you. I am having similar issues myself.
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 3 of 15 (15,688 Views)

@redheadkelly,

Hi,

Which system are You using now?

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Honor Student
redheadkelly
Message 4 of 15 (15,649 Views)

I'm on Vista Home Premium.

But, actually, I got an email from tech support suggesting that I update my MediaSmart & my BIOS. By the time I got around to doing it, my problem had rectified itself again. I went ahead & installed the updates that they suggested in hopes that this doesn't happen again.

Thanks.

These are the links they sent me. I'm not sure if they are system-specific or not...

Link for HP Media Smart Menu Program

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-70885-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Link for BIOS:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-74823-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 5 of 15 (15,631 Views)

A

1.Uninstall HP QLB and install this:

HP Quick Lunch Buttons here (ver 6.50.7.1)

2. Reinstall:

HP MediaSmart DVD Software here 

3.Install:

HP MediaSmart SmartMenu Update here

B

Go to Control Panel -> Devices Manager

Click with right button of Your mouse on each yellow sign and choose properties. Then go to bottom details and paste here Hardware Ids. This way we will know what it is.

Below You've got example how to do it:

Device ID

Device ID

Device ID

C

Remove the power cord and battery.Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Try starting with just the power cord attached first.

D

If point A and C will not solve problem with Your wireless. Uninstall drivers for wireless and give me hardware id of this device too.

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Honor Student
redheadkelly
Message 6 of 15 (15,056 Views)

Well, I was doing ok with this for a while, but then the problem suddenly came up for me again the other day. I followed the steps here & it worked.

So... thanks.

Honor Student
vivienne101
Message 7 of 15 (12,845 Views)

hi

im using a hp pavillion tx 2000 and my wireless suddenly stopped working. ive turned on the  wireless button and only the bluetooth comes on. i dont know what to do about it. ive tried checking device manager but it doesnt show up there. ive heard about doing something on the BIOS but i dont know exactly what to do, please help.

Student
mertozdiken
Message 8 of 15 (11,254 Views)

hey! I have the same problem now.. were you able to solve it? can you tell me how?

Student
tomato18
Message 9 of 15 (10,592 Views)

Hye, I'm using a Compaq Presario Q36. I have recently tried to uninstall some of the unwanted downloaded programs and might have accidentally uninstalled something that causes my WLAN to be disabled. The WLAN button won't go blue no matter how many times I pressed it and restart the computer. And I have no idea what was removed that disabled the WLAN. Please help?

Thank you

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 10 of 15 (10,310 Views)

@tomato18

Hi,

1. Please write your notebook product number (p/n) and country of purchase.

Resource:
How to Locate the Notebook product number (p/n)

2. Go to:

Control Panel -> Device Manager

Right click each device with yellow exclamation mark ( ) and choose ' Properties '. Next select ' Details ' tab and paste here Hardware Ids . This way we will know what kind of driver you need.

Below you've got example how to do it:

464i329EA20FEFCDC76A
466i652BE51C12165A92
467iC2AEC23384DE4519

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation