Question

Honor Student
jakemw
Message 1 of 7 (300 Views)

Cannot Download Files from Interet on brand new HP Envy DV7 Please help!

I just received my new HP Envy DV7 running Windows 8.  Upon connecting to the internet both wirelessly and through a network cable, I find that I can surf the web but cannot download anything.  The downloads work for a few seconds and then stop.  I contact tech support. They had me reinstall IE, disable add ons, disable virus protection and a bunch of other stuff to no avail. Then they had me reimage the drive with the recovery software, assuring me this would solve the problem  It didn't.  Now they want to send me a recovery CD, saying that might solve the issue.  I'm so frustrated as I can't get this computer up and running.  Can anyone help?

Honor Student
jakemw
Message 2 of 7 (297 Views)

Re: Cannot Download Files from Interet on brand new HP Envy DV7 Please help!

P.S. If i try to download, it downloads a little bit of a file, then stops. If I pause the download and restart it, it will download a tiny bit more and then stop, etc.. It takes about an hour and 10-15 pauses and restarts to download a small file.
Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 3 of 7 (261 Views)

I do not know if this will help; it is something you can try.

The source of the downloading issue may be something in your configuration, your ISP, your setup.

At the least, this is free, it is relatively easy to do, and you can change it back to your regular setup in a few minutes.   The best part:  You do not have to rebuild your computer to try it.  Smiling.

Google Public DNS

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
jakemw
Message 4 of 7 (257 Views)

Thanks for the tip.  I appreciate any advice but I don't think this is the issue.  All of the other computers in the house can download fine so I dont' think it's an issue with the DNS or ISP.  It's something specific to this computer.  I do appreciate the reply though.  HP had me do a image recover, which didn't work and now they are sending me a recovery CD which they say will fix the problem, but I'm not optimistic....

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 5 of 7 (254 Views)

Could be hardware... Once you exhaust the software avenues, you can send the box in and HP will repair it.

The Public DNS is a non-invasive method to eliminate some of the less common "gotchas" that can sneak through an ISP's setup.  Of course, I suspect that Google would be tracking you from here to the South Pole and back once you are connected to their servers -- I would only use this as a testing base or when other options are not available.  Smiling.

I hope the issue is resolved with the reinstall -- it is all painful but it is less so when you can keep your computer at home.

Good Luck!

Happy 2013!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
jakemw
Message 6 of 7 (251 Views)

Thanks and same to you.. I'm not quite sure what a recovery disk is going to do that the HP Recreate Mini Image didn't but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Happy 2013 to you.

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 7 of 7 (229 Views)

Hi Jake,

This is still bugging me - some things just do so...

Found this whilst looking for something else and it rings true (ignore the Windows 7 part):

Windows 7 - Streaming Video and downloads freezes

The point is that maybe, just maybe, this all goes back to the network driver, after all.  Either the adapter needs to be updated, or it needs to be uninstalled, maybe deleted, and then reinstalled. 

• Start Page > type anywhere "device manager" > Click on Settings > find and click on Device Manager
  • Find and Click on Network adapters
  • In that list you will find your computer's particular PCI adapter
  • Right-Click on the PCI adapter > Properties > Driver > select actions from the list
  • A box for "delete" pops up when one selects "uninstall"...  choose as desired.  SEE BELOW.

======================================================================================

Of course, you'll need a replacement driver already downloaded into your system before you delete the original driver.

• Check your Recovery Manager ahead of time and see if the Network Adapter is under Immediate Help > Drivers and Application Reinstallations  ...  If things get weird, you'll have an alternative backup plan...

Install Software and Drivers from HP Website

Go to the top of the HP forum page to Support and Drivers

• If prompted, Enter your Country or Region and
  • Enter your Computer Model information,
  • Go to Software and Drivers...
  • Enter your Operating System in the Drop-down menu...  Scroll down
  • Select desired Category Driver - Network

Select from the list...

• Expand and decide if you need to install that package.
  • Assure that you download and install only the most recent versions of each driver or program.
  • Save the appropriate *.exe installation package on your computer

NOTE the name and the location - the *.exe file will likely save to "Downloads “

• Install the Software / Driver installation package:  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package(s) and “double-click” to install, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

NOTE:  There is sometimes a lot of information at the computer’s website.  Take a look at what’s available and bookmark the page for later reference.

====================================================================================

If you decide to do this.. consider:

• Create a restore point
  • Find and download the correct network driver for your computer
  • Open the Device Manager, find, uninstall, and delete the network adapter
  • Reboot the computer
  • Install the new network driver
  • Reboot the computer

====================================================================================

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation