Question

Intern
Anvanho
Message 1 of 10 (9,685 Views)

Cannot connect to wifi with our laptop

HP Presario P2500 laptop

Windows XP home edition

We've been unable to get the unit to connect to our home wifi. Our other laptop, and anyone that brings their own computer over can quickly and easily connect.

Spent almost an hour in a tech-support chat with AT&T to see if it was a modem (their modem) issue but all the settlings are fine.

We've gone through all the control panel settings and configurations.

The blue light (by the wifi tab on the front) is on. The laptop "sees" the network and claims the strength is very strong, but it cannot connect.

Is it possibly a bad piece of wifi hardware inside the unit maybe?

Any other configuration we might try?

Thanks greeatly for any suggestions.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 10 (9,676 Views)

Re: Cannot connect to wifi with our laptop

Hi:

What brand/model number wireless network adapter do you have installed in the notebook?

Check under network adapters in the device manager.

It might need a driver update.

Paul

Intern
Anvanho
Message 3 of 10 (9,662 Views)

Hi Paul, thanks for inquiring:

The Device manager says the adapter is:

HP WLAN 54g W450 Network Adapter

Do I need an upgrade or patch? or new(er) driver?

Thanks, Michael

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 10 (9,661 Views)

Hi, Michael:

See if this driver will work.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=0&...

This is the latest driver I could find for that card.

I'm thinking it is too old to work with your relatively new Linksys Router. 

There were a lot of issues with Atheros cards and the new Linksys routers--cards that are much newer than yours. Drivers were released to fix the connection issues, but unfortunately none were released to update your model card.

You HP W450 is an Atheros card.

If you have this driver installed, it is the latest one.

Paul

Intern
Anvanho
Message 5 of 10 (9,623 Views)

Hi Paul, thanks for those recommendations; the driver would not, however, permit the machine to wifi onto our system.

I've been researching different USB wifi attachments that appear able to make the connection.

Can you please tell me:

1.   Is there a particular make/model that is suggested I use to connect my HP Presario P2500 laptop to my 2WIRE 3800 HGV-B modem?

2.   Will this approach work properly, even though the laptop is set up internally with [some version] of wifi capability?

Our newer HP HDX-18T has no trouble working with out wifi ... thought I would mention that.

Thanks for any help!

Michael

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 10 (9,614 Views)

Hi, Michael:

There are many choices fo USB wireless adapters, so here is a link and you can pick one out that best suits your needs.

Read the reviews on them by customers who purchased the various models.  I always find that helpful.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010074%20600014288&IsNodeId=1&name=US...

As far as your internal wireless adapter...The best thing to do is to go into your BIOS, and there should be a device configuration menu. In that menu, your wireless adapter should show up as enabled. Just change that setting to disabled and you won't have any conflicts.

Paul

Intern
Anvanho
Message 7 of 10 (9,591 Views)

Thanks so much; yes, I wnet ahead and ordered one.

But I tried (thought you meant) to get into the BIOS through the F2 key press system setup at Boot up; didn't find it there; did you instead mean go to Control Panel>System>Device Manager?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 10 (9,568 Views)

Hi:

Don't you hit the F10 key to get into the BIOS in your model?

Intern
Anvanho
Message 9 of 10 (9,565 Views)

Hmm, ... I thought I had hit the F2 key ... the meassage that comes up telling you what key to hit is lightning speed in and outta there ,,, can barely make out what it is they're saying .. I thought is was F2

(should I try F10?)

Anyhow, I went to Control panel and Device Manger and disabled the network adapter thing there ... (is that sufficient?)

Thanks!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 10 (9,555 Views)

Yes, that will be fine too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation