Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

My laptop won't pick up any wireless networks at all - I'm having what seems like a few different problems:

1.  Because the laptop won't pick up any wireless networks, I can't of course connect to the internet without using my ethernet cable.

2.  When I try to turn my adapter on using the F12 key, all it does is toggle airplane mode - which isn't going to help me connect to the internet.

3.  When I go to 'Network' under PC Settings, I can toggle airplane mode but the bluetooth is greyed out and can't be toggled and it doesn't even give me an option to turn back on my wifi adapter.

4.  When I went into the Network and Sharing Center to enable the adapter that way under 'Change Adapter Settings', I couldn't even see the adapter listed there.  All it showed was Ethernet and Hamachi because I use LogMeIn Hamachi on my computer.

By this point, I was like "Oh, great - the adapter might somehow not even be there even though it was last night," (I was online wirelessly the night before) so I went into the device manager and then expanded Network Adapters I only saw the same two Ethernet and LogMeIn adapters.

5.  So next, I tried downloading the adapter - but the problem is, I have no idea what kind my laptop is supposed to have.  Going to the download drivers section in the support area of the hp website, I found many options and none of them seemed to work.  I also tried redownloading the Wireless Button Driver (whatever that's called) and that didn't work.

5.  I even tried doing a system restore to a point of about a week ago - this also did not solve my problem because the same things were happening and the same things I tried above still are not solving the problem either.

I know countless other people have had the same problem(s) mentioned above (simple Google search told me that) with their HP ENVY Notebook PCs, so I'm hoping that someone can help me and finally solve this problem for me.

The model  is HP ENVY TouchSmart m7 j120dx, the model number is E8A11UA#ABA, and my computer is running Windows 8.1 64-bit.

On another note, here's the names of the only 2 adapters that show up in my device manager list (one is for LogMeIn Hamachi);

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Ethernet)

LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual Ethernet Adapter (Hamachi)

The wireless was working fine before with Hamachi installed, so I doubt that has any significance.

If there's any other information you need that I did not mention above, feel free to ask me.  I look forward to someone replying as soon as possible and being able to find a solution to this problem for me!

EDIT: One other thing I should mention is that the wifi in my location is working fine for every other device I try (phone, gaming console, other people's laptops/desktops, etc.

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hello dginther,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand wireless is not working properly. If the issue just began occurring, I would perform a system restore. I want you to bring the computer back to the earliest restore point possible, in an attempt to dodge whatever caused the issue. Here is a document on how to perform a System Restore: System Restore

Next, please try the steps in this HP document: Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection (Windows 😎

These steps should be enough to resolve the issue. If not, you can try a manual reinstall of the driver:

1. Go into Device Manager, then Network adapters.

2. Right-click on the wireless driver, and select "Uninstall".

3. Restart the computer. This will force the driver to reinstall itself.

Please let me know the results of your troubleshooting. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hello,

None of the options described above were able to solve the problem.

I've done a system restore as well.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

Right now, it is difficult to determine whether or not the issue is hardware or software-related. To determine this, I would like you to reinstall the operating system. It will clear up any software conflicts and allow you to start fresh.

First, please ensure you backup your files. Here is information on how to do this: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎

Once this is done, it is safe to reinstall the operating system. Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎

If the same situation occurs, the computer likely has faulty hardware. At that point, please contact HP phone support. You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide

Thanks!

Mario

HP Recommended

Hello again,

I've done a factory reset on the computer, and the problem is persisting.  So at this point, it's definitely the hardware.

I've got GeekSquad protection on it from Best Buy, so I'm going to take it in to get it looked  at.

Thank you for your help,

dginther

HP Recommended

has this problem been solved yet?? i am having the same exact issue. concidering to just return this laptop and wipe my hands clean of hp products . if nothing can be done about this issue.

HP Recommended

Hello @dredlor ,

Have you tried the steps I suggested previously? If you have, and the issue isn't resolved, I would call HP phone support to get the issue addressed, or return the computer.

Mario

HP Recommended

I also have this issue and have tried all the above suggestions.

HP Recommended

@archangel125 ,

Trying the above suggestions would've included reinstalling the operating system. If you did, and  the issue is not resolved, you need to contact HP phone support for hardware assistance.

You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks!

Mario

HP Recommended

Same issue here.  Any more info?  Done all what had been suggested above.  Is it a hardware issue?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.